My three Hallmarks - Comparison of 3 models

TriflerShawn

My three Hallmarks - Comparison of 3 models

Postby TriflerShawn » Tue May 28, 2013 6:49 am

Hey gang, hope ya'll had a good Memorial Day.
In between the grilling and drinking, I got in a quick demo of my Hallmarks.
I was restringing my 60 Custom and already had my Deke at the ready, and the old lady was gone for a bit, so I figured
I'd go ahead and do a video.

Ok, here's the rundown. The guitars are a Deke Dickerson signature, 60 Custom, and a Hallmark II
I'm playing through my Gretsch Executive. It's a 20 watt amp, pretty much a Fender Deluxe with a 15" speaker.
I'm going straight into the amp, no effects. I put a bit of reverb on here and there. I'm playing clean, and I
keep the amp settings the same for all three guitars. I turn up a bit at the end of the Hallmark II demo as I find those pickups
really shine when they are "wound up" a bit. I tend to like demos where you hear the guitar clean, as you get the true character
of the guitar. I find when you play with a lot of distortion, the differences even out, and most guitars kind of start to sound the same.

Anyhow, the usual caveats apply. I'm pretty much playing whatever jumps in my mind. I always tend to clam up when doing demo
vids as I have no backing to work with, so there's plenty of clams, but I think the videos really show the character of these fine
guitars. Enjoy!!

Part I

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: My three Hallmarks - Comparison of 3 models

Postby Greg_L » Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 am

Good stuff man! Thanks for taking the time to make those vids.

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Tue May 28, 2013 11:55 am

No prob!
It was fun. I had them out already, just had to move my amp and set up my iPad.

I was actually pretty shocked with how different the three guitars sounded.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks for the demo of the Deke Model. I'd sure like to have one of those if it didn't have the Deke Dickerson logo on it. Is it removable? I guess I'm just old school but just not a fan of any artist name on a guitar.
Danny Ellison

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Tue May 28, 2013 2:50 pm

dubtrub wrote:Thanks for the demo of the Deke Model. I'd sure like to have one of those if it didn't have the Deke Dickerson logo on it. Is it removable? I guess I'm just old school but just not a fan of any artist name on a guitar.

Nope, it's under the finish. I don't mind so much. I'd RATHER it have MY name, but I don't think I'll ever be famous enough for that! :D

As a funny aside, I have a friend who was ranting about signature model guitars and how much he hated them and how cheesy he thought they were.
I got out of my chair, and walked over to his guitars....returned with his FAVORITE guitar, a Les Paul, and pointed at the headstock. He had no comeback. :lol:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Les Paul might be a different story. ;)

I'm 67 and have been playing since I was 9. I know a great many musicians and none of them ever heard of Deke. I never heard of him until I started this forum in '08.
Danny Ellison

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Tue May 28, 2013 3:36 pm

dubtrub wrote:Les Paul might be a different story. ;)

I'm 67 and have been playing since I was 9. I know a great many musicians and none of them ever heard of Deke. I never heard of him until I started this forum in '08.

Deke does fly a bit under the radar for most folks. I first saw him years ago opening for The Reverend Horton Heat.
I was blown away by his guitar picking, and also command of the stage. He's a natural entertainer definitely deserving of a signature model.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 28, 2013 3:58 pm

I don't mean to take anything away from Deke. I know and like him, he has been to my home, but I don't want a guitar signature model with his name on it any more than I would want a signature model with my name on it.

I think I've hijacked your nice demo thread. Sorry!
Danny Ellison

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue May 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Thanks for the demonstrations, Shawn. I like the sound of the 60 Custom the most, I think the finish fits it pretty well too - The tone is "Wet", So to speak.

And I'm still hoping for some tonal comparison with Minutemen amp settings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0C0Yke9tww

Edit - Embedding the YT video wasn't working for me so I linked to the video.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Wed May 29, 2013 12:52 am

Cool demos! What were you using to film those? And what mics? I see a lot of video demos where the guitar totally overpowers the voice-over--yours doesn't do that; the balance is excellent. I'm looking to get one of those small video recorders--a Zoom or something similar. You're getting great results with your setup! The shirt's cool too--I'm a big H. P. Lovecraft fan! (Both the author and the '60's band...)

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”