My three Hallmarks - Comparison of 3 models

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: My three Hallmarks - Comparison of 3 models

Postby Greg_L » Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 am

dubtrub wrote:Thanks for the demo of the Deke Model. I'd sure like to have one of those if it didn't have the Deke Dickerson logo on it. Is it removable? I guess I'm just old school but just not a fan of any artist name on a guitar.

I'm totally with ya there. I'm an unapologetic Johnny Ramone fanboy, but I don't want a "Johnny" model Mosrite/Hallmark.

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Wed May 29, 2013 4:48 am

101Volts wrote:Thanks for the demonstrations, Shawn. I like the sound of the 60 Custom the most, I think the finish fits it pretty well too - The tone is "Wet", So to speak.

And I'm still hoping for some tonal comparison with Minutemen amp settings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0C0Yke9tww

Edit - Embedding the YT video wasn't working for me so I linked to the video.

Austin

Hey Austin......I totally flaked and forgot about doing some Minutemen.
Next time, I'll bust some out for ya!

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Wed May 29, 2013 4:50 am

jfine wrote:Cool demos! What were you using to film those? And what mics? I see a lot of video demos where the guitar totally overpowers the voice-over--yours doesn't do that; the balance is excellent. I'm looking to get one of those small video recorders--a Zoom or something similar. You're getting great results with your setup! The shirt's cool too--I'm a big H. P. Lovecraft fan! (Both the author and the '60's band...)

Jfine......oddly enough, I'm just using the mic on my iPad.
I was going to mic up my amp, and all that, but I did a test and found the results acceptable.

Yep....I'm a huge Lovecraft fan!
I don't know too much about the band, but I definitely need to check them out. :D

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed May 29, 2013 5:00 am

You did clip the mic a little, but it's not so bad that it's overly distracting. There are way worse youtube vids out there. I think you did good overall.

Actually, bad youtube "review" vids are a huge pet peeve of mine. Not that I'm an authority on anything, but I don't wanna waste my time watching junky vids. There are two very common guitar/amp review problems that almost immediately make me turn the vid off - 1) badly clipping the mic, and 2) the amp being set so quiet that you can hear the sound of pick on strings. If I were king of the world, I'd make everyone mic their amp during video reviews. :)

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Wed May 29, 2013 5:04 am

Greg_L wrote:You did clip the mic a little, but it's not so bad that it's overly distracting. There are way worse youtube vids out there. I think you did good overall.

Actually, bad youtube "review" vids are a huge pet peeve of mine. Not that I'm an authority on anything, but I don't wanna waste my time watching junky vids. There are two very common guitar/amp review problems that almost immediately make me turn the vid off - 1) badly clipping the mic, and 2) the amp being set so quiet that you can hear the sound of pick on strings. If I were king of the world, I'd make everyone mic their amp during video reviews. :)

HA!...yeah, I hear the clipping. Definitely will mic up in the future.
My BIG gear review pet peeve is when they just play super distorted single line stuff.
Like I can tell ANYTHING about the sound a guitar when it's being slathered in distortion.
That's fine for a "metal" guitar, and it's cool to demo a guitar with some dirt, but please let me hear it clean!!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed May 29, 2013 5:12 am

TriflerShawn wrote:
HA!...yeah, I hear the clipping. Definitely will mic up in the future.
My BIG gear review pet peeve is when they just play super distorted single line stuff.
Like I can tell ANYTHING about the sound a guitar when it's being slathered in distortion.
That's fine for a "metal" guitar, and it's cool to demo a guitar with some dirt, but please let me hear it clean!!

I agree when the guitar is what's being featured. I think a guitar's true character is in it's clean sound. To me, there's a trade-off point somewhere as the amp gain goes up. At some point the guitar itself starts to matter less and less and the character of the amp really takes over.

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Wed May 29, 2013 8:38 am

Definitely. If you are demoing a guitar, let's hear the guitar.........not a ton of distortion that disguises the sound of the guitar.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Thu May 30, 2013 12:35 am

Shawn--I don't know much about H. P. Lovecraft (the band) either, except that they were obviously influenced by H. P, Lovecraft (the author), at least fifteen years before Metallica did The Call Of Ktulu (should be spelled Cthulhu--it's supposed to be pretty much unpronounceable by human vocal cords!) I don't know where the band was from, but their album--I believe they only had one--used to get quite a bit of airplay on KMPX in San Francisco, the first FM underground rock station. I listened to that station, and its successor KSAN, all the time during my last two years of high school. I remember a song called The White Ship, and there were probably some others from the album that got airtime, but I can't remember--it was 45 years ago, after all! Seems like they played the Fillmore a few times, but I never saw them live. The songs I heard on the radio were good, though, kind of psychedelic folk-rock with lots of spooky atmospheric organ.
edit: I just found a Wikipedia reference for them. They apparently got together in Chicago, and relocated to San Francisco after recording their first album. I thought they might have been local! They recorded a second album, broke up, and a couple of the key members reformed in the '70's as Lovecraft. Their original run was '67-'69. That was my era--I grew up in San Francisco and graduated high school in '68.

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 am

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Fri May 31, 2013 8:32 am

Had first band practice last night using the Deke.
Man oh man.............our tunes tend to run from twangy old school country to Horten Heat-esque type stuff.
The Deke handled it all! Only problem I had all night was knocking the low E out of its saddle from being a
bit too enthusiastic.

Those pickups are amazing! So touch sensitive. I love 'em.

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”