63 Custom Bass is HERE!

vibramute
Top Producer

63 Custom Bass is HERE!

Postby vibramute » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:35 pm

WOAH...it's nice. I owned a dual pickup late 60's Mosrite bass a few years back, but this Hallmark homage plays much better overall. The fit and finish is top notch, I couldn't find a single flaw. I'm glad I went with the single pickup model; it's simple, classic and above all, sounds fantastic. I installed Thomastik nickel flats (the stock strings were fine but I'm old school and believe every bass should be strung with flats) and then tweaked the truss, it plays like butter. Nice low action and spot on intonation. The sound (plugged into my 6G6B Bassman) comes really close to Bob Bogle's early Mosrite tone, I couldn't be happier.

My only slight regret is that I didn't upgrade to a custom color (was leaning toward Candy Blue) since all my Hallmarks and Mosrites are sunburst, but that's my only (personal) gripe with it.

Bob Shade did it again. This is my 3rd Hallmark and I'm sure I'll be back for more (next on my list is a CAR '60 Custom).

I strongly urge anybody jonesing for a Mosrite bass to give Hallmark's '63 or '65 basses a try first. ;)

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Re: 63 Custom Bass is HERE!

Postby GattonFan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Wow! Very nice bass ... You can't go wrong with Hallmarks, and like you, I possibly see more in my future ...
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Great to see another Hallmark bass! I plan to put some flats on mine too! ;)

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:51 pm

MarkyKobane wrote:Great to see another Hallmark bass! I plan to put some flats on mine too! ;)

It's a small club so far, but I have a feeling these basses will sell really well once Bob puts them up on the Hallmark website.

I think you'll be really happy with flatwounds. My advice would be to stay away from stainless flats (D'Addario LaBella, etc). Spend the few extra bucks on nickel Thomastik or even Pyramids.

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”