Double Neck (production) Hallmark?

Diggey

Re: Double Neck (production) Hallmark?

Postby Diggey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:37 pm

The short octave neck is my favorite. You and I communicated and priced it. I still want it, just need money ......

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:34 am

I am ready when you are.

I am glad you are still interested.

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Bob Shade wrote:First, thank you very much for the thread! I really appreciate the interest!

This is slightly complicated subject as doubles do have some reasons why they have never been very popular. while we still plan to make some custom shop Swept-Wing doubles in the future, production of this would be a hard decision and here is why: (The only popular guy seen playing one for more than two songs a night in my memory is Joe Maphis) But here are my thoughts:

1. Doubles are generally cumbersome and most guys appreciate looking at them more than playing them.

2. If not designed just right, the guitar is head heavy and is not much fun to hold and play at the same time. Alot of Mosrite doubles were head heavy.

3. I think I can count the double inquiries I have had in the last several years on one hand, so that is never a good sign for a production run.

4. They tend to be more expensive as you may suppose.

Having said all that, the other issue with a production run is outlined in this thread by the members here. Doubles are a very personal choice and alot of guys have different thoughts as to what the "other" neck should be for them.

I did think of one way to get around that. If ( and I use that term very loosely ) we were to make a run and all of the necks were the same width at the heel, I could have a variety of necks available, and mount them as needed. This would be one way to please everyone.

What would be really optimal would be to come up with a way of mounting the bridge and tailpieces in different positions to accept a variety of necks for the end user. The only thing I see getting in the way of that is the appearance. You would have holes and grommets in different positions which may look funky but it would be very cool.

Anyway, These are my thoughts and yours continued are certainly appreciated!

Double regards,

Bob Shade

Bob, even if the instrument never comes to fruition, I'm glad we have your wheels turning on such a project. I think it would be cool (especially with different neck options), but I completely understand the hesitation if there isn't much interest beyond a few of us geeks on this forum.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:58 am

Bob Shade wrote:
I did think of one way to get around that. If ( and I use that term very loosely ) we were to make a run and all of the necks were the same width at the heel, I could have a variety of necks available, and mount them as needed. This would be one way to please everyone.

What would be really optimal would be to come up with a way of mounting the bridge and tailpieces in different positions to accept a variety of necks for the end user. The only thing I see getting in the way of that is the appearance. You would have holes and grommets in different positions which may look funky but it would be very cool.

That's a very cool idea. I think it would be cool to have a standard and a baritone neck. You could get creative with covering up the extra holes for the second bridge/tailpiece or just embrace and celebrate them. There's lots of old hot rods, bikes, and drag cars with nuts and bolts and parts visible everywhere. I personally love it. I can see a machined aluminum plate flushmounted into the body of the guitar with the extra holes tapped in for different bridge/tailpiece placements for different necks. It could be like a modular double-neck guitar totally customaizable by the player.. :D

Or maybe that wouldn't work. I don't know jack about building a guitar. :lol:

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”