Switching pot values on a Hallmark 60's Custom.

vjf1968
Top Producer

Switching pot values on a Hallmark 60's Custom.

Postby vjf1968 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:53 pm

I have been feeling that my Hallmark 60's Custom pickups are too dark. I was thinking about putting higher value pots in to brighten the sound a bit. Anyone here performed this mod? I always have the tone pot wide open but compared to my tele the Hallmark is a bit dark. Currently I use a Janglebox to get more bite but I really would prefer to adjust the tone from the guitar instead of the amp or from a pedal. I want more treble not noise.

What would be a good value so the guitar would be brighter but not shrill?

Your thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

jfine
Top Producer

Re: Switching pot values on a Hallmark 60's Custom.

Postby jfine » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:35 am

I had it done on mine. It came with 250Kohm pots, and I found it to be too dark, so I had them replaced with 500Kohm ones. Sounds a lot better, although I wouldn't call it twangy--those pickups are pretty fat for single-coils, but so were the old Mosrites.

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:34 am

I think the Tele is the most trebly guitar there is. The newer Hallmarks (2012+?) come with stock 500k pots, so you would need to do something else if you own a new Hallmark. The 'older' models came with 250k pots...changing them to 500k will have a huge impact on the treble side, IIRC.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:16 pm

Yes a Tele is about the most treble you will get from a guitar for several reasons. It has to do with more than the pickups. Keep in mind the 60 Custom was never really designed to sound like a Fender. This is why it is nice to have a variety of guitars to play.

Having said that, one option would be to purchase a "Fat Pig" pickup from us. We use big fat vintage ceramic magnets in these and they really boost the treble section in your 60 Custom. Anyone with a "Fat Pig" can chime in here and that may help your decision. We have had nothing but great reviews on these pickups for guys looking for a treble boost and more chime.

Best and thanks,

Bob

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:04 am

vjf1968 wrote:I have been feeling that my Hallmark 60's Custom pickups are too dark. I was thinking about putting higher value pots in to brighten the sound a bit. Anyone here performed this mod? I always have the tone pot wide open but compared to my tele the Hallmark is a bit dark. Currently I use a Janglebox to get more bite but I really would prefer to adjust the tone from the guitar instead of the amp or from a pedal. I want more treble not noise.

What would be a good value so the guitar would be brighter but not shrill?

Your thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I thought my Hallmark pickups were a little dark too. Not bad dark, just too dark for the overdriven crunchy tones I tend to like. I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that the Hallmark pickups are designed and assembled to replicate the classic fat plonk of the original early 60s Mosrite pickups, which were all pretty different in their own way. The guitar is not designed to mimic a Fender's brightness.

So I contacted Mr Bob Shade about by tone needs and he made me a pickup. He called it a "Fat Pig". Maybe I have the very first one? That would be cool. The name is a little misleading as it's not "fatter" than the stock pickups. Not to my ears anyway. It is brighter, a little "cleaner" in the low mids. It's got more "bite" to it as far as I can tell. Keep in mind that I'm not a clean tone kind of guy. I'm a play it very loud through cranked Marshalls kind of guy. I go for more of a Ramones sound than a Ventures sound. But the Fat Pig does cleans beautifully as well.

But yes, a pot value change will brighten things up. My 60C came with 250k pots, and changing them to 500k really opened up the top end considerably. A pot swap is also much cheaper than a new pickup if cost is a concern. Check your pots and see what you have.

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:02 am

I think maybe I made the mistake of comparing my tele to the Hallmark. My mistake. I get why tele's are on the trebly side but I was trying to explain what I want. I want the Hallmark to have a little more high end than what is there now.

When I originally got the Hallmark I was the only guitarist in a three piece so it wasn't an issue. Now I'm in a 4 piece cover band with another guitarist. We usually play 4 sets of covers a weekend and I feel the darkness of the Hallmark doesn't cut through. Hence is why I am asking about changing the pot values. Like I said in my OP, I'm currently using a Janglebox to get the treble boost but I would like to keep that set for my Rick 12 since the high compression does generate noise.

I have the 250k pots. My Hallmark was purchased back in 2009.

I think I will go with the pot swap since that is the cheaper alternative. Plus I like the sound of the pick ups that are in there now.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 am

vjf1968 wrote:

Do you know for sure though? I got mine in 2013 and it had 250k pots.

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:29 am

Greg_L wrote:
vjf1968 wrote:

Do you know for sure though? I got mine in 2013 and it had 250k pots.

Pretty sure but I am not at home to look.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:09 am

I've got one of the new Hallmark humbuckers coming and looks like I've got 250k pots installed so will need an upgrade to get the best out of them - Can anybody recommend and post up a link for good 500k pots that would fit the 60C?

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”