Longshot question on the Hallmark Stradette

mad dog

Longshot question on the Hallmark Stradette

Postby mad dog » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:08 pm

I've long been fascinated by the modern Hallmark guitars. For some reason, most of all by the strange looking stradette.

Just realized, there are (were) two variations. The vintage model, with bolt-on neck (now out of production) and the pricier custom model with set neck. Has anyone here owned or played these? Any idea how bolt on affects sound, sustain, anything else as opposed to set neck?

Any impressions of this model in general?

Thanks for your help. MD

BRRanger
Top Producer

Re: Longshot question on the Hallmark Stradette

Postby BRRanger » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi Mad dog,
I bought a Stradette Custom (s/b with gold hardware) from Bob many moons ago, don't know how they compare to the bolt-on necks but love it though I haven't played it in a while. I'll have to pull it off the wall and give you more info on sound, etc.
Scott

Nitromessiah

Postby Nitromessiah » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:07 am

I can't remember his name, but there's a mexican guy on youtube just KILLIN on a Stradette! Probably the best version of Mr Moto I've heard in a long, long time.

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:21 am

The guy on youtube is RJ Ronquillo . He did domos for Hallmark guitars and has done quite a few for Eastwood guitars.Fantastic player !

mad dog

Postby mad dog » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:18 am

RJ Ronquillo does right by that Stradette. Some beautiful sounds, plus absolute mastery on the trem. His two demos of the Stradette are a big part of why I'm so curious.

Michael D.

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:40 am

That RJ Ronquillo is smooth! Must have watched 10 demos in a row! Apparently my Stradette doesn't have most of the notes he's hitting 'cause I can't seem to duplicate his playing.
Scott

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:04 am

Hey guys! I always felt the Stradette had alot to offer even though hardly any were made in the old days and never sold well. I felt compelled to offer the Stradette again and Bill Gruggett was all for it. Bill built the first original 6 string Stradette at Hallmark back in 1967. I have some pictures of Bill building some of the first Stradette's that we offered again here at Hallmark. I will have to dig them out.

We have 1 Stradette left in stock in 3 tone sunburst with a beautiful flame top if anyone would like to grab it.

Yes RJ is an amazing guitarist and shows alot of what the Stradette can do. Thanks to Deke, for introducing him to us. Here are clips of him with his. These guitars are very versatile as you will see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-qKU8M0CSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNdSUt_ZUDQ

Best reverbs! RIP Bill Gruggett

Bob Shade

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”