improving the Custom 60

Nitromessiah

improving the Custom 60

Postby Nitromessiah » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:43 pm

Over the next few days I'm going to remedy some of the shortcomings of the Mosrite/Hallmark design. Things that I see that need updating:

1 - move the tailpiece forward 1/4", or as far as it can while still covering the original holes.
2 - using larger screws to solidify the tailpiece to the body to increase sustain and resonance.
3 - figure out some way of solidifying the bridge and studs (I'm thinking either setscrews or custom milled studs)
4 - replace tuners with some thing shorter to increase down angle on string separator/nut/zerofret
5 - ?

I've already replaced the pots/jack and wiring, changing to 500k and Switchcraft. The original parts were fine quality wise, I just wanted more treble, something more along the lines of the Mosrite Ventures tone.

Any other items that need addressing? Would anyone be interested in improved parts that help with sustain, resonance and tone?

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Re: improving the Custom 60

Postby SanchoPansen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:41 am

Number 2 puzzles me a little bit. I chose Mosrite/Hallmark guitars because of their lack of sustain, as sustain is something I want to avoid with lots of reverb and echo (or with lots of overdrive if you are more into the Ramones type of music).
If you want a guitar with sustain, try a LesPaul. But the lack of sustain is Mosrites/Hallmarks trademark sound, IMO. They will never be guitars for blues players.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:01 am

By all means knock yourself out and do what you want to do, but I'm having a hard time seeing how any of those "fixes" will do anything.

Nitromessiah

Postby Nitromessiah » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:47 am

All but one mods are done and WHAT a difference they made. Sustain, tone, action, vibrato smoothness, all much better.

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”