Best glue for Brass string guides, side question 4 Shade

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Best glue for Brass string guides, side question 4 Shade

Postby cmiller0034 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Mr. Shade. I used one of your nice string guides for my guitar. I have heard MANY ways of getting traditional nuts to to stay. (couple drops of super glue, thinned white glue, ect.) I used titebond Liquid hide glue on each end. It seemed to hold well until I loosened the strings today to work on the pickup. And the thing slipped right off and wont stay when I bend notes. :( What would you suggest to get the string guide to stay put.

Thankyou for you time Mr Shade.

Also, a side question: The gauge of wire effects the tone of the wound pup of course. But what about the gauge of the wire between the tone and volume circuits? Does it matter? I'm wondering if thin wire gauge (24 Gauge) will cause a loss, or kind of "bottle neck" the signal from the pickups. I want to get the most out of them I can :lol: I dont think it would but I'm not sure. The pup I'm working on has about 11.9 ohms (hot I know) and puts out, to my ears, a lower signal than my Statocaster. Thought I might ask an experienced luthier such as yourself.

Thanks
-Chris
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Re: Best glue for Brass string guides, side question 4 Shade

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Hello, I use Elmers white glue. This way if the guide ever needs to be removed is can be taken off fairly easily.

Apply a small line of white glue across the bottom of the guide. Then apply even pressure with the strings. Clean any excess glue off with a damp rag. Then let it sit overnight under pressure and tune it up the next day.

In regards to the wire, I do know the more metal you add to the pickup such as leads etc. will add more resistance. I do not know if that stops at the pots.

If the pickup is wound and made correctly, the height of the pickup should be all the advantage you will need.

Hope this helps,

Bob

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Bob Shade wrote:
Apply a small line of white glue across the bottom of the guide. Then apply even pressure with the strings. Clean any excess glue off with a damp rag. Then let it sit overnight under pressure and tune it up the next day.

If the pickup is wound and made correctly, the height of the pickup should be all the advantage you will need.

Thanks Bob that does help. When I used the hide glue I did have it under string pressure for 24 hours. I will clean the hide off and try the line of white glue as you suggested. And I moved the pup closer to strings and it's alot louder. The Alnico 5's are not glued on yet, so maybe they were not positioned correctly, Sounds ok now. Thankyou again Bob, I appreciate your help.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:05 pm

I Elmers glued my string guide on my 60C and it's been rock solid ever since. I even let some dry on my hand so I could peel it off like skin and freak out the kids.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:32 pm

One more thing.........I always scratch up the bottom of the string guide with some coarse sand paper as well as the slot on the neck if it has finish on it. The glue will grip much better this way.

Bob

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:34 am

Greg_L wrote:I Elmers glued my string guide on my 60C and it's been rock solid ever since. I even let some dry on my hand so I could peel it off like skin and freak out the kids.

Greg you're a weirdo. Next time smear it on your face for a zombified or burned look. Pro tip. 8-)

And Bob: Ill make sure and kitty cat scratch the underbelly of that String G.

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”