Postby Sweptwing » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:54 pm

I just got a new Amp a Tone King Imperial and next year
I'm looking to get another guitar. The first two on my list
are the Hallmark Custom 60 and the Swept-Wing. The Amp
I have wanted to get since the late 90's when I played one
at Lark Street Music when they were in Albany NY. Best
Amp that I have ever played thru 8-) I do have a guitar
it's a Fender American Deluxe Telecaster and now I would
like to get a guitar that will give me a different type sound.
That's where I believe the Hallmark would come in and I
love the Surf Pearl color. I've only played one Mosrite and
that was a 12 String a few years ago and that guitar had
a good neck. For those who play either the Custom 60 or
the Swept-Wing what bought you to those guitars :?:

jfine
Top Producer

Re: Hallmark and a Tone King

Postby jfine » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:46 am

I have a Hallmark 60 Custom, in Surf Pearl actually! I've been a Ventures fan since the early '60's, and I've wanted a Mosrite since they came out--although I don't like the super-skinny necks on the vintage ones. I bought a Wilson Bros. Ventures 40th Anniversary model (made by Aria in Japan) some years ago--nice neck (bigger than a Mosrite neck), great pickups, but the Jazzmaster-style bridge and tailpiece were so problematic that I had to send it back. A friend of mine has a Fillmore (Japan)-made Mosrite that's very nice, but they're tough to get, so when I found out Bob Shade was doing a Mosrite-style guitar in the Hallmark line, I bit the bullet and bought one. Bob does a nice job on those--it doesn't twang quite as much as I was expecting, but the old Mosrites really don't either, and replacing the 250Kohm pots with 500Kohm ones gave it a little more bite (I believe they come that way now). Workmanship and finish are excellent, the price was right, and it's hands-down the coolest-looking guitar I've got! Get one--you won't regret it.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:02 am

Agree with that ^^^^^^^^^

I dabble with surf and psychobilly music for fun, but my main gig is hard fast punk rock and I play through roaring Marshall stacks set to kill, so my experiences probably fall outside of the typical 60 Custom user. But I feel I have a pretty good handle on my own 60 Custom anyway. I can't speak for the Swept Wing, but the 60 Custom handles it all very well. Beautiful build, fit, and finish that rivals and/or exceeds any custom shop stuff from Gibson or Fender. I bring my Les Pauls and SGs to gigs, the Hallmark 60 Custom is the only guitar anyone even looks at. It's functional art. But more importantly, it's a player and plays great to me. It can handle my ham-fisted abuse just fine. The neck is similar to a semi-flattened 60s Gibson neck. It's not the narrowed micro Mosrite neck, and to me, that's a point in Hallmark's favor. It's a physically big and somewhat heavy guitar, but again, to me that's a good thing.

I think the 60C will generally sound much fatter than any Strat or Tele though. If you're looking for that piercing bright kind of twang, that's not the 60 Custom's forte. It's stock pickups are fat and thick and sound pretty great for the plonky Mosrite sound. If you need a tighter, brighter bridge pickup, ask for the Fat Pig. :D Or go with 500k pots as mentioned.

Not to spam myself, but here's a clip of my 60 Custom in action through some very un-surf-like Marshalls. It sounds great through any amp.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/262 ... nsters.mp3

P.S. - Bob Shade is a cool dude and a pleasure to do business with.

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:13 am

Congratulations on the new gear! The Tone King amps look very nice. Unfortunately they have too much gain for my taste, but still very nice amps!
I own a couple of Mosrites/clones. My first one was a ~1966 Mark V which I bought a couple of years ago - inspired by the band Man or Astroman?
Loved that sound and simply HAD TO get a Mosrite and a Vibrolux Amp. So this first one got me hooked on Mosrites and one thing led to the other...
The Hallmarks (I own 2 60 Customs) are very close to the real deal, but actually more like a lovechild between a Fender and a Mosrite.
The neck is wider, the sound is a little different - but still close enough and good enough!
You will not regret buying a Hallmark. They are a great bang for the buck and Bob is a true gentle- and businessman!
My wife thinks the surf pearl 60 custom is the most beautiful guitar around, so I have to buy this one as well.
Maybe a custom order with a bolt on neck...mmmh.

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:43 am

LOVE the looks of the ToneKing amps - that retro-styling gets me every time. I have 3 vintage Mosrites, 3 Japanese Mosrites, and 5 Hallmarks (in addition to a mixture of Gibson, Gretsch, Samick, Ovation, etc.). IMHO, the Hallmarks are as good as anything going - and very affordable. IF I were going to get another C60, I'd go for that new Nokie sparkle color - it is a beauty.

Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:09 am

Thanks for the nice reviews guys......I am not sure I am worthy!

I really love the older Tone King amps too! I have no experience with the newer models. I had a chance to buy one of those tall models that look like a TV/Phonograph from the Jetsons brand new for a close out in red for $998.00 and have been kicking myself ever since. I love the sound of their reverb circuit, one of the best I have ever heard.

I think the Swept-Wing or the 60 Custom would give you what you are looking for. The Swept-Wing would be a little more twang, and the 60 a little more gnarl, but both have great tones in all positions I believe.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Have a fab holiday season!

Bob Shade/ Hallmark Guitars
240-473-1157

Sweptwing

Postby Sweptwing » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks Bob I know it will be next year I have a new computer and I do like the
Swept-Wing that was given away by Paul Revere and the Raiders. You did send
me a picture but when I got my new Lab Top I lost everything from my old computer.
If you still have that picture could you resend it to me :?: here is the email
l.defelippo53@gmail.com I also like the Custom 60 and do you do Quilted Tops
on those guitars and on the controls is there any way to do a 5 way Rotary switch
with a Volume and a Sweet Switch?

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:56 am

Hey, SweptWing--it sounds like what you really want is a PRS! Just kidding... :) A quilt-top 60 Custom would be very cool indeed--my wallet is whimpering in fear at the very thought...

Sweptwing

Postby Sweptwing » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:14 pm

jfine, I did have a PRS like that back in 1988 and I would like to get that
same type of a setup on a Hallmark. It would be different but I don't
know if Bob would do that. I do like some of the colors they have and
also on a Swept-Wing that type of controls would be fun. You could get
a lot of sounds and would sound sweet thru my Tone King 8-)

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:20 am

We have new humbucking pickups that are the same size and fit for the 60 Custom. These are individual coins and can be wired with a rotary switch just like PRS does. As a matter of fact, we are using this wiring diagram and rotary switch on our new model coming soon.

We can sell you a set of these pickups and include a wiring diagram for the rotary switch. The pickups are $100.00 ea. or $175.00 for a set of 2.

We offer them in both black or white covers and mounting rings.

Bob

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”