Canadian dollar keeps pushing my hallmark away! Alternative?

murdog44

Canadian dollar keeps pushing my hallmark away! Alternative?

Postby murdog44 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:09 am

I have been seriously lusting after a Hallmark 60 Custom for a very long time. I finally got budget issues cleared enough to pull the trigger, only to see the price rise out of reach over a few short months. You Americans have a good deal right now. $999.00 is still 999.00 which is a great price for a great instrument. For a long time, US and Canadian dollars were close enough to be equivalent.
$999 is now $1308.00 Cdn.
Throw in international shipping, 2.5% credit card fee for conversion, and 13% federal and provincial sales tax and the total is now $1631.00

Pretty bummed out now, to say the least. Could be a long time again before I can hold my own Hallmark.

So I got myself a booby prize a couple of days ago. A used Eastwood reissue of a Tokai Hummingbird, which is admittedly far short of a Hallmark, but it has a zero fret, roller bridge, top mounted old school tremolo and Mahogany body. It plays very well, and sounds good unplugged, but sadly sounds like butt when amplified. Really crappy p90 clone pickups kill it. It looks way cool though.

Got it for $250.00. That's $190.00 US.

I was hoping I could fix it up to get some mojo by replacing the pickups, and maybe the bridge and trem. I see that hallmark offers these parts online, but I fear I might just be throwing good money after bad if it still isn't at least close to a mosrite sound.

Has anyone out there had any success with this approach on a different guitar?

I am unsure about the pickup pole spacing on hallmark pickups and how they would align with the strings. Could somebody tell me the string spread for the hallmark 60 custom at the bridge? Pole spacing on neck and bridge pickups? Does spacing even matter that much?

Anyways, sorry for the rant but I'm not quite ready to give up a kidney for Mosrite tone. Still thinking about it though....
Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for reading.

BRRanger
Top Producer

Re: Canadian dollar keeps pushing my hallmark away! Alternat

Postby BRRanger » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:49 am

Howdy,
I have am Eastwood Tokai Hummingbird I bought when they reissued them, was glad to see they left the Tokai name on the headstock. Alas, they don't sound like a Mosrite! Don't know if you saw my post re: the 60 Custom Hallmark @ guitar center online, that might bring you closer to your price range, but am thinking about buying one in ink blue...Bob is going to post some pics. Aren't you, Bob! (Hint)
Scott

murdog44

Postby murdog44 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks for the tip! I will look into that.

The hummingbird I got has the Eastwood logo on the headstock, but the previous owner blacked it out with magic marker so it cant be seen.

You are right though that it sounds nothing like a Mosrite or Hallmark. I was just thinking that maybe some tweaks might possibly move it in the right direction.
It is actually a rather decent guitar, and I like it a lot. My only issue is that It did nothing to reduce the Hallmark GAS that I have been having.

I would like to see the Ink Blue 60 Custom you speak of as well!

thanks for your response
Murray

murdog44

Postby murdog44 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:39 am

Apparently it is sold.
Thanks muchly for the heads up though.

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:19 am

That is a bummer. Make a trip to the US or have a buddy smuggle one? Used on Ebay?

murdog44

Postby murdog44 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:52 am

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

I've PM'd Bob asking about the possibility for a trip to the US. I'm on vacation this week, but I fear Bob may be on vacation as well.

The rules according to Canada Customs are that an individual who spends greater than 48 hours in the US can bring up to $800 across tax and duty free. My wife and I together would qualify to exempt the tax and duty on a new guitar.
I always wanted to see Washington DC anyways, which as I understand it is not too far from Hallmark HQ.

The financial situation is actually not as dire as I had made it out to be. We Canadians are used to paying a lot more for EVERYTHING even when our dollar is at par. I'm venting at the 'leech fees' we always seem to have to pay, especially when our dollar takes a dive.

Driving vacations are good. Your gas is 1/2 the price of ours!

Thanks again

commando

Postby commando » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:42 pm

On the Hallmark Facebook page, it was posted that Shyboy & Tex Repairs Co Guitar Shop in Toronto has Hallmark guitars at their store. I've also noticed that the same shop also has listings on reverb.com for a few Hallmarks. I hope this information is helpful.

MarkyKobane
Top Producer

Postby MarkyKobane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:52 pm

Search Hallmark on Reverb.com too. I saw an authorized Canadian Dealer!

murdog44

Postby murdog44 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:14 am

Thanks a lot for the tips guys!
I didn't know that there were any authorized dealers. I wonder if Bob knows about this?

Anyways I caved to my gear lust and went on a road trip to Maryland to get a new one from Bob Shade.
We only go around once right?

Right now I could not be happier. Was well worth the trip. I posted separately about that experience.

Interesting stuff these guys in Toronto have though... might have to go see.
Too busy playing guitar for a road trip right now.

Thanks again everybody.

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”