Nokie

Nokie
Top Producer

Nokie

Postby Nokie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:02 am

Hi Folks. I've just looked over most of the previous new member introductions and you all seem like good Joes so I figure its safe to post one myself.

I may disappoint some in that I'm not really so much a Mosrite fan as I am a Ventures fan. I primarily like Mosrites as Ventures collectables (I'm an over-the-top Ventures fan). I do play my Mosrites at gigs occasionally so they're not just hangin' on the wall or sitting in the closet. But I don't find them to be the easiest guitar to play. I'll agree they are very well made and sound great but what Semie thought of as "features" (narrow neck, low frets etc...) I find to be flaws. I was happy to see there are other Strat fans on this list 'cause that's my main favorite guitar.

Anywho, more about my interests will come out in the various forums. It's nice to be at this fun forum.

-Marty

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: Nokie

Postby Desert Surfer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:29 am

Yes, Marty. Fenders are nice. Just got a '56 Stratocaster Relic and really like it. The vintage sound is great.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:42 am

Nokie wrote:Hi Folks. I've just looked over most of the previous new member introductions and you all seem like good Joes so I figure its safe to post one myself.

I may disappoint some in that I'm not really so much a Mosrite fan as I am a Ventures fan. I primarily like Mosrites as Ventures collectables (I'm an over-the-top Ventures fan). I do play my Mosrites at gigs occasionally so they're not just hangin' on the wall or sitting in the closet. But I don't find them to be the easiest guitar to play. I'll agree they are very well made and sound great but what Semie thought of as "features" (narrow neck, low frets etc...) I find to be flaws. I was happy to see there are other Strat fans on this list 'cause that's my main favorite guitar.

Anywho, more about my interests will come out in the various forums. It's nice to be at this fun forum.

-Marty

Welcome Marty! While I agree with you on what you found to be flaws, also keep in mind that when Semie came out with these "features," They were at the time (early 60's) to be an "Innovative Design" with the thinner neck, making it easier to play (with heavy gauge strings). Mosrite was one of the first Companies to put light gauge strings (10s) on their guitars as factory equipped. The so called "Speed Frets" (Gibson did it as well, but had decided to call theirs the Fretless Wander) were "cool" for a short time until Musical Styles changed. To me, the so called "Speed Frets" or Gibson's version, the "Fretless Wander," was actually nothing more, other than a Fretless NIGHTMARE! I hated bending the G string on my Fretless Wander Black Beauty Les Paul (or on the Mosrite) only to have the string slip out from underneath your finger, due to not having enough fretwire to get a "good grip."
BTW, Those are AWESOME shots of your Mo's!! Again, WELCOME! :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:54 am

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the introduction and I'm glad to have you with us here on the Mosrite forum.

Me and Mosrite goes back to the late 1950's, and all during that time I've always played Fender's. I finally got my first Mosrite in 2006 and sold it less than a year later to Desert Surfer. The reason why, for the same reason I never owned one before, I do not like those ultra narrow necks and fretless feeling frets. Before I sold that guitar I made a set of drawings from it, then later a set of templates, and now if you have read about my DIY guitars in the Project forum, you will see that I have cured the neck problem. At least cured it for me as I love the way my custom guitar necks feel. Now it's a toss up between my Strat's, Jazzmaster's, or Ellison Custom's.

BTW, I just got another '66 Mosrite. I felt hypocritical having a Mosrite forum but not having a Mosrite guitar.
Danny Ellison

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Desert Surfer wrote:Yes, Marty. Fenders are nice. Just got a '56 Stratocaster Relic and really like it. The vintage sound is great.

Beeeautiful!!
-Marty

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:45 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:
Nokie wrote:Hi Folks. I've just looked over most of the previous new member introductions and you all seem like good Joes so I figure its safe to post one myself.

-Marty

Welcome Marty! While I agree with you on what you found to be flaws, also keep in mind that when Semie came out with these "features," They were at the time (early 60's) to be an "Innovative Design" with the thinner neck, making it easier to play (with heavy gauge strings). Mosrite was one of the first Companies to put light gauge strings (10s) on their guitars as factory equipped. The so called "Speed Frets" (Gibson did it as well, but had decided to call theirs the Fretless Wander) were "cool" for a short time until Musical Styles changed. To me, the so called "Speed Frets" or Gibson's version, the "Fretless Wander," was actually nothing more, other than a Fretless NIGHTMARE! I hated bending the G string on my Fretless Wander Black Beauty Les Paul (or on the Mosrite) only to have the string slip out from underneath your finger, due to not having enough fretwire to get a "good grip."
BTW, Those are AWESOME shots of your Mo's!! Again, WELCOME! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks fer the compliments on my Mosrites. Yeah, I know Semie thought he was making a "better" guitar back when. John McLaughlin in the '70's showed the speedy way to play was to have big frets and a scalloped fret-board to keep your fingers away from the fretboard. I tried scalloped frets on a Vox guitar in the 70's myself and loved it so I was happy that Fender put the Ingwie in prodcution with the scalloped board. I bought a Mexi-Strat clone of the Ingwie some kid made and its great.

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:50 pm

dubtrub wrote:Hi Marty,

Thanks for the introduction and I'm glad to have you with us here on the Mosrite forum.

Me and Mosrite goes back to the late 1950's, and all during that time I've always played Fender's. I finally got my first Mosrite in 2006 and sold it less than a year later to Desert Surfer. The reason why, for the same reason I never owned one before, I do not like those ultra narrow necks and fretless feeling frets. Before I sold that guitar I made a set of drawings from it, then later a set of templates, and now if you have read about my DIY guitars in the Project forum, you will see that I have cured the neck problem. At least cured it for me as I love the way my custom guitar necks feel. Now it's a toss up between my Strat's, Jazzmaster's, or Ellison Custom's.

BTW, I just got another '66 Mosrite. I felt hypocritical having a Mosrite forum but not having a Mosrite guitar.

Thanks for the welcome, Danny, and thanks for putting this forum together. I never would have guessed that the originator of this forum had a similar veiw of the Mosrite as mine.

I forgot to mention that, while I have trouble playing the 6-string Mosrites, I love the 12 string Mosrites. They are well made and because when playing a 12 one doesn't use the same technique as playing a 6 - string with bends and speedy runs, it doesn't have the same playability issues. They sound great and look very cool.
-Marty

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”