A Rare Mosrite..again.

ventintothemic

A Rare Mosrite..again.

Postby ventintothemic » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Hello from Oregon.

I am once again the proud owner of a rare Mosrite acoustic guitar. It's a Folk Acoustic Gospel model circa 1968. Here's the story.

My father was the Production Manager, then General Manager of KERO-TV in Bakersfield, California. Some of you may know that the station aired "Cousin Herb Henson's Tradin' Post" show daily from the early 1950's to early 1960's. Many architects of the "Bakersfield Sound" appeared on the show, including Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, The Collins Kids, Joe Maphis, Bill Woods, Billy Mize and many more great musicians. And we all know Semie Moseley's guitar company was located in Bakersfield.

In 1968, my dad asked Semie Moseley to build a guitar for me. The Mosrite guitar I'm holding in the photo (below) is that guitar.

I kept the guitar for 4 years, then sold it in 1972. Over the years I often wondered what had become of the instrument. Then about a year ago I posted the above photo on my Facebook page. An old friend and former roommate saw the photo and commented how great it was to see it. He also commented how much he's loved owning the Mosrite all these years. Of course, I was delighted that I had sold it to a friend (I had forgotten that) and was so pleased the guitar had been well-loved.

Then about two months ago, I posted a recent a photo of me on Facebook. My old friend asked if I knew anyone who might like to buy a custom-made Mosrite. (Of course, he was speaking directly to ME). I jumped at the chance to re-acquire the guitar. I drove up to Portland, Oregon where he currently lives and bought it back after 42 years. Here's the photo of me now with the Mosrite.

Over the past 42 years, my friend had traveled the world with the guitar. He lived on the Caribbean island of St Thomas for 17 years, during which he and guitar survived 5 hurricanes. After reacquiring the Mosrite, I took it to luthier Rick Kneale in Springfield, Oregon. He recommended a new fret job (two were missing), and discovered a cracked brace inside the guitar and a crack in the spruce top underneath the pickguard. Rick did a masterful job making the repairs and now I have it back home. Rick also found the serial number, which we believe reads "FA G 0017". According to the instrument tech at Ed Roman Guitars, the "FA" stood for "Folk Acoustic". The third digit is hard to read, but he thinks it probably was a "G" for "Gospel". (If anyone has more insight into serial number's appearance, please let me know).

It's rare for anyone to re-acquire a guitar after 42 years, but even more unusual for it to be a rare Mosrite acoustic. Semie Moseley did a splendid job building the instrument and I feel so fortunate to own it again.

Thanks for welcoming me into the Mosrite forum. - Kenny Croes

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: A Rare Mosrite..again.

Postby 101Volts » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Welcome to the forum! An interesting story. I've never played one of the Mosrite acoustics, I know there were two production models (Balladere and Serenade) and there were other guitars Semie worked on plus an aluminum-rail Acoustic that Adam (Dorkrockrecords) Owns, I think. So this is a custom-built one? Now more Mosrite history has been unveiled.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:12 pm

Good to see you Kenny! Any chance you can bring it to the next Gretsch Roundup?

ventintothemic

Postby ventintothemic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:14 am

Yes, I will bring it to the Gretsch Round-up. Looking forward to the event. Plus I get to hang out with my buddy Raye, who was with me when we drove to Portland to get the Mosrite.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:34 am

Very nice story. Glad to hear that you were reunited with both an old friend and your old guitar.

And welcome to the place.

FrankJames
Top Producer

Postby FrankJames » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:44 am

Welcome to the forum !!

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:08 am

Great story, glad it came back to you and is now back where it belongs!
Scott

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”