Hi there! Need help to identify Mosrite

Astronaut

Hi there! Need help to identify Mosrite

Postby Astronaut » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:14 am

Greetings! I'm new here, and new to the whole Mosrite thing. I've found this guitar in my local store, seller says that it is Celebrity III 64-68 with replaced pickguard. I've made a search and all Celebrity guitars that I found have binding, but this one not. Can you tell, is this original or fake? Thanks in advance and sorry for my english.
https://www.avito.ru/moskva/muzykalnye_instrumenty/mosrite_of_california_celebrity_usa_1964-68_g_941302689

All the best

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Hi there! Need help to identify Mosrite

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:08 am

Welcome to the forum.

I can tell you a few things about this guitar. The serial number, ST007 is not a standard serial number for Mosrite. I've only encountered one other guitar that had a similar serial number. It also did not have binding. Nobody knows the origin of these serial numbers but I believe they were created during the period when Mosrite had gone bankrupt and their inventory was sold at auction. Some employees bought inventory and built guitars that were sold. I believe this is when your guitar was built. This would have been in 1969.

The bridge, pickguard, control plate, pickup selector switch are not Mosrite. The little bar across the headstock is not original to Mosrites. Interestingly, your guitar has a sidejack input and I've never seen that feature on a Celebrity before.

I think these guitars add an interesting piece to the Mosrite story. I don't know how to determine what the guitar is worth because I think most people would want to buy a guitar made at the Mosrite facotry. However, I always believe if a guitar is well made and you like it then it still has value.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

FrankJames
Top Producer

Postby FrankJames » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Welcome to the mosriteforum !!

Astronaut

Postby Astronaut » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:26 am

Sarah93003 wrote:Welcome to the forum.

I can tell you a few things about this guitar. The serial number, ST007 is not a standard serial number for Mosrite. I've only encountered one other guitar that had a similar serial number. It also did not have binding. Nobody knows the origin of these serial numbers but I believe they were created during the period when Mosrite had gone bankrupt and their inventory was sold at auction. Some employees bought inventory and built guitars that were sold. I believe this is when your guitar was built. This would have been in 1969.

The bridge, pickguard, control plate, pickup selector switch are not Mosrite. The little bar across the headstock is not original to Mosrites. Interestingly, your guitar has a sidejack input and I've never seen that feature on a Celebrity before.

I think these guitars add an interesting piece to the Mosrite story. I don't know how to determine what the guitar is worth because I think most people would want to buy a guitar made at the Mosrite facotry. However, I always believe if a guitar is well made and you like it then it still has value.

Thank you Sarah! Just got the guitar. Sounds and feels fantastic.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:59 am

Astronaut wrote:

My email is sarah@mosritecelebrity.com

I would love to see more pictures of this guitar and have further discussions about it. The ST prefix serial number is very much unknown and I'd like to solve this little mystery.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Astronaut

Postby Astronaut » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 am

Sarah93003 wrote:
Astronaut wrote:

My email is sarah@mosritecelebrity.com

I would love to see more pictures of this guitar and have further discussions about it. The ST prefix serial number is very much unknown and I'd like to solve this little mystery.

I've sent you a few pics. Let me know if you want more. Jack input was removed, retainer on the headstock was also installed by previous owner for better tuning stability. I need to say that guitar stays in tune very well

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 am

Welcome to the forum.
Post those pictures here.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”