Need help identifying Mosrite

GrapeJape

Need help identifying Mosrite

Postby GrapeJape » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:48 am

I was given a 196something Mosrite Ventures guitar and a Standel 70W Solid State amplifier by my father-in-law. I would like to get some more information and possibly a ballpark value on the items. The guitar plays great after resoldering the neck pickup. We are planning to keep it in the family but would like to know more about it. I think it is a 1965 model. The amp was confirmed as a 1965-1966 model by Standel.

I have photos - not sure how to post them.

Mosrite is S/N 2065. It has a Vibramute tailpiece.

GrapeJape

Re: Need help identifying Mosrite

Postby GrapeJape » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:06 am

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:51 am

Based on your posts and the pictures, I'd say you have a very cool father-in-law.
Welcome to the forum!

PS I think it's a '65 too, way to go!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:15 am

GrapeJape wrote:I was given a 196something Mosrite Ventures guitar and a Standel 70W Solid State amplifier by my father-in-law. I would like to get some more information and possibly a ballpark value on the items. The guitar plays great after resoldering the neck pickup. We are planning to keep it in the family but would like to know more about it. I think it is a 1965 model. The amp was confirmed as a 1965-1966 model by Standel.

I have photos - not sure how to post them.

Mosrite is S/N 2065. It has a Vibramute tailpiece.

I think the guitar is probably a 66. I'm no expert, but I believe the truss rod cover didn't show up until 66. My 1965 is a late one - November and December 65 stamps - and it has the truss rod adjustment at the body joint end and no truss rod cover. You can remove the neck and see if there are date stamps in the neck pocket and neck heel. Pot codes can help too if they're original.

It could be 65 I guess. Probably a 66 or 67. Whatever it is, it's awesome. Nice stuff. 8-)

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:22 am

Congratulations, great Father in Law.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Yes, but all seriousness aside... The reasons I agreed to it being a 65 and not a 66 is the spun knobs, Vibramute tail piece, and I didn't see the 'R' on the pickup covers that all points to 65 or earlier. According to Max's website S/N's in that range are from 64 or 65. But of course none of that explains why the truss rod adjustment is on the headstock and not at the heel. Now I am really curious what the date stamps say in the neck pocket and on the end of the neck, let alone the pot codes.

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:56 am

If you decide to pull the neck and look for date stamps on the neck heel or in the neck pocket, please post pics, it would be interesting to see, thanks.

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”