hey everyone!

clappedham

hey everyone!

Postby clappedham » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:13 am

New member here.

first of all, thanks for accepting me into the forum! :D

I've been interested in Mosrite guitars for some time now, particularly the ventures Mk1 and 'slab body' Mk2.

I'm definitely a little bit of a Ramones fanboy, and for some time now since I've been practising Ramones songs using Johnny's original techniques, (full barre chords and all downstrokes) and i'm particularly interested in perfecting his "buzzsaw" style of playing.

I am also interested in learning more about Mosrite guitars and anything ramones-related.

Thanks again,
Caleb
2000 Squier Affinity Stratocaster
2024 Squier Affinty Telecaster (jonny greenwood-ified, lace sensors etc.)

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: hey everyone!

Postby 101Volts » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:27 pm

Welcome to the forum, Caleb. I've tried playing a bit like Johnny myself, but not a whole lot. I'd normally warm up with the first Ramones album, but it wasn't made much easier for me when I was trying to play my 66 with a set of .13s on it.

Have you seen any of Hardly Ramone's videos? He's the best I've seen on Youtube for Ramones covers. He didn't start out with the Hallmark Johnny Ramone Signature, it's a more recent acquisition. He works as a cinematographer, which explains the quality of his videos. This seems to be more of a hobby for him, though.

One of Hardly's "Rockaway Beach" Guitar Covers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLxaJDCtRuM

Hardly's "Oh Oh I Love Her So" Guitar Cover:

https://youtu.be/fx-evq5I8qg

Also, one of the other things I've learned of Johnny's techniques (you didn't mention it, so I'm not sure if you know) is, he'd often switch between playing all 6 strings, and just the bottom 4. So instead of the whole down up down strumming, you get more of a "FULL-part-FULL-part" sound, one that pulsates. This is a bit more obvious in "Oh Oh I Love Her So" than in "Rockaway Beach."

(Also, there's supposed to be a "Youtube" embed video feature on the forum, which explains the button above the create message box, but the feature doesn't seem to be working now.)

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:50 pm

Welcome to the forum!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Dino Boreanaz

Postby Dino Boreanaz » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:40 pm

Welcome to the forum from another big Ramones fan!

I've never played an actual Mosrite, but I've had my Hallmark Johnny Ramone since 2015 and I love as much as the day I got it ... sounds great and plays amazing!

I wholeheartedly agree with Austin's comments about Hardly Ramone's covers. They're well-played, look great, and sound fantastic!

clappedham

Postby clappedham » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:25 am

101Volts wrote:Welcome to the forum, Caleb. I've tried playing a bit like Johnny myself, but not a whole lot. I'd normally warm up with the first Ramones album, but it wasn't made much easier for me when I was trying to play my 66 with a set of .13s on it.

Have you seen any of Hardly Ramone's videos? He's the best I've seen on Youtube for Ramones covers. He didn't start out with the Hallmark Johnny Ramone Signature, it's a more recent acquisition. He works as a cinematographer, which explains the quality of his videos. This seems to be more of a hobby for him, though.

One of Hardly's "Rockaway Beach" Guitar Covers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLxaJDCtRuM

Hardly's "Oh Oh I Love Her So" Guitar Cover:

https://youtu.be/fx-evq5I8qg

Also, one of the other things I've learned of Johnny's techniques (you didn't mention it, so I'm not sure if you know) is, he'd often switch between playing all 6 strings, and just the bottom 4. So instead of the whole down up down strumming, you get more of a "FULL-part-FULL-part" sound, one that pulsates. This is a bit more obvious in "Oh Oh I Love Her So" than in "Rockaway Beach."

(Also, there's supposed to be a "Youtube" embed video feature on the forum, which explains the button above the create message box, but the feature doesn't seem to be working now.)

- Austin

Hey Austin, thanks for the reply. I have seen a lot of hardly’s videos and he definitely helped me out when I was learning the ropes with Ramones songs. Thanks for the info about Johnny’s pulsating chords, to achieve that sound Ive tried emphasising the 2nd downstroke but I tried out the technique you recommended and it sounds a lot closer to the original.

clappedham

Postby clappedham » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:31 am

Sarah93003 wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Thanks man.

clappedham

Postby clappedham » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:33 am

Dino Boreanaz wrote:Welcome to the forum from another big Ramones fan!

I've never played an actual Mosrite, but I've had my Hallmark Johnny Ramone since 2015 and I love as much as the day I got it ... sounds great and plays amazing!

I wholeheartedly agree with Austin's comments about Hardly Ramone's covers. They're well-played, look great, and sound fantastic!

I also agree! i can't find any other guitar covers of the ramones with the same production quality and accuracy. Thanks for the warm welcome.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:13 am

Welcome to the forum!

clappedham

Postby clappedham » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:44 pm

ElTwang wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

t-bone

Postby t-bone » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:50 pm

Welcome to the Forum! nice to see new faces. the Ramones have a special place in my heart as well. Tym Brennan in Australia makes some incredible guitars, many with Johnny Ramone/Mosrite II appeal.
Mosrite Forever

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”