NGD - 1962 Joe Maphis Model

User avatar
Gonkulator
Active Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:27 pm
Contact:

NGD - 1962 Joe Maphis Model

Postby Gonkulator » Mon May 20, 2024 11:37 am

Figured I'd post some pictures here. I managed to get my hands on a '62 Joe Maphis model. Complete with the Guild knobs and the Vibramute model that had the Guild logo ground off. I'm assuming it's a '62 based off of some other examples, maybe late 62?

What a guitar this is!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Sarah93003
Master Contributor
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm
Location: Westlake Village, CA
Contact:

Re: NGD - 1962 Joe Maphis Model

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:40 pm

Very nice! Congratulations!
____________________
1965 Mosrite Celebrity Prototype with Vibramute
1972 Mosrite Celebrity-III
1977 Gibson MK-53
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

User avatar
101Volts
Master Contributor
Posts: 2409
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: NGD - 1962 Joe Maphis Model

Postby 101Volts » Thu May 23, 2024 3:18 pm

Remarkable. The M in the headstock is different from later ones, but I'm most curious about one detail; is the scale length still Mosrite's 24.50", or is this early enough that it has a 24.75" scale length?

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

User avatar
Gonkulator
Active Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:27 pm
Contact:

Re: NGD - 1962 Joe Maphis Model

Postby Gonkulator » Fri May 24, 2024 5:47 am

101Volts wrote:Remarkable. The M in the headstock is different from later ones, but I'm most curious about one detail; is the scale length still Mosrite's 24.50", or is this early enough that it has a 24.75" scale length?

- Austin


I'll check when I get home. I'm thinking that it's early enough to have the longer scale length. While the neck is narrow the profile is definitely a bit thicker than later Mosrite's

User avatar
101Volts
Master Contributor
Posts: 2409
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: NGD - 1962 Joe Maphis Model

Postby 101Volts » Fri May 24, 2024 7:53 am

Gonkulator wrote:
101Volts wrote:Remarkable. The M in the headstock is different from later ones, but I'm most curious about one detail; is the scale length still Mosrite's 24.50", or is this early enough that it has a 24.75" scale length?

- Austin


I'll check when I get home. I'm thinking that it's early enough to have the longer scale length. While the neck is narrow the profile is definitely a bit thicker than later Mosrite's


That's another thing that I'm curious about now that you mention it, to see measurements of the neck width and depth and how they compare with later models.

My 1966 model, not that it's a Ventures but is a "Ventures II" (Carved) type (predecessor to the Mark V) is like this.

(the "chafed section" in my notes here refers to how the back end of the neck on mine is chafed, probably due to the storage in the hard case. I've seen that on more than a few of my model.)

===========
Neck Depth:
===========

1.340 - 0 Fret.
0.881 - 1st Fret (Chafed section.)
0.838 - 2nd Fret (Chafed section.)
0.848 - 3rd Fret (Chafed section.)
0.851 - 4th Fret.
0.849 - 5th Fret.
0.856 - 6th Fret.
0.850 - 7th Fret.
0.844 - 8th Fret.
0.848 - 9th Fret.
0.846 - 10th Fret.
0.843 - 11th Fret.
0.854 - 12th Fret.
0.877 - 13th Fret.
1.014 - 14th Fret. (Neck heel starts between frets 14 and 15.)
1.125 - 15th Fret.
1.122 - 16th Fret. (Note: at this point, the sides of the neck heel seem to be not perfectly flat, but the center of the neck heel is the measurement. Or maybe I just held the micrometer a bit off kilter.)
1.1425 - 17th Fret.
1.1695 - 18th Fret.
1.1885 - 19th Fret.
1.2105 - 20th Fret.
1.234 - 21st Fret.
1.243 - 22nd Fret.
Fretboard End (measured in the middle of the fretboard, at the pinnacle of the fretboard radius: )
1.250.

===========
Neck Width:
===========

Calculated just past the fret (closer to the bridge,) except where noted.

1.5470 - 0 Fret.
1.5680 - 1st Fret.
1.6110 - 2nd Fret.
1.6490 - 3rd Fret.
1.6735 - 4th Fret.
1.6985 - 5th Fret.
1.7240 - 6th Fret.
1.7490 - 7th Fret.
1.7760 - 8th Fret.
1.8000 - 9th Fret.
1.8240 - 10th Fret.
1.8450 - 11th Fret.
1.8640 - 12th Fret.
1.8825 - 13th Fret.
1.9085 - 14th Fret.
1.9380 - 15th Fret.
1.9690 - 16th Fret.
1.9950 - 17th Fret.
2.0200 - 18th Fret.
2.0380 - 19th Fret.
2.0530 - 20th Fret.
2.0690 - 21st Fret.
2.0780 - 22nd Fret.
2.0890 - Fretboard End

=====

Not as if I'm asking for measurements at literally every one of these points, but measurements at places like the 0 fret, the 5th and 9th frets, the 12th fret and then maybe the 15th and the width at the fretboard end would help paint a better picture here.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

User avatar
101Volts
Master Contributor
Posts: 2409
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: NGD - 1962 Joe Maphis Model

Postby 101Volts » Fri May 24, 2024 7:56 am

Also, here's a template measurements list you could use, though again, I'm not necessarily asking for measurements at every fret. I realize your 1962 Joe Maphis is a set neck, I just copied and pasted this after (months ago) making it long enough for many models, including bolt-ons and also models with 24 frets. Trim the template as required.

===========
Neck Depth:
===========

00 - (Zero Fret / Nut)
01 -
02 -
03 -
04 -
05 -
06 -
07 -
08 -
09 -
10 -
11 -
12 -
13 -
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 -
20 -
21 -
22 -
23 -
24 -
xx - (End of Neck)

===========
Neck Width:
===========

00 - (Nut)
01 -
02 -
03 -
04 -
05 -
06 -
07 -
08 -
09 -
10 -
11 -
12 -
13 -
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 -
20 -
21 -
22 -
23 -
24 -
xx - (End of Neck)

==========

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

User avatar
Gonkulator
Active Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:27 pm
Contact:

Re: NGD - 1962 Joe Maphis Model

Postby Gonkulator » Mon May 27, 2024 10:00 am

I will have to take some in depth measurements to fill all those out but it is in fact 24.75 scale length.

User avatar
101Volts
Master Contributor
Posts: 2409
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: NGD - 1962 Joe Maphis Model

Postby 101Volts » Mon May 27, 2024 7:48 pm

Gonkulator wrote:I will have to take some in depth measurements to fill all those out but it is in fact 24.75 scale length.


No need to fill absolutely everything out, I'm just thinking things like fret 0, 5, 9, 12, 15, 19, and the end of the fretboard. Though you could go 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, 21, and the end too. Or just everything, if you feel like it.

Thanks for the scale length measurement. I was wondering when Mosrite got their scale length cutting machine, and it would seem that they didn't get it this early. I know that it's 24.50 by the time my 1966 model was made, but I still am not sure when exactly they got the machine.

Also, do you have measurements of the pickup ohm ratings? I'm wondering how comparable this one is to later ones. Mosrite did change the amount of wire in the pickups a few times.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

User avatar
Gonkulator
Active Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:27 pm
Contact:

Re: NGD - 1962 Joe Maphis Model

Postby Gonkulator » Tue May 28, 2024 4:57 am

101Volts wrote:
Gonkulator wrote:I will have to take some in depth measurements to fill all those out but it is in fact 24.75 scale length.


No need to fill absolutely everything out, I'm just thinking things like fret 0, 5, 9, 12, 15, 19, and the end of the fretboard. Though you could go 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, 21, and the end too. Or just everything, if you feel like it.

Thanks for the scale length measurement. I was wondering when Mosrite got their scale length cutting machine, and it would seem that they didn't get it this early. I know that it's 24.50 by the time my 1966 model was made, but I still am not sure when exactly they got the machine.

Also, do you have measurements of the pickup ohm ratings? I'm wondering how comparable this one is to later ones. Mosrite did change the amount of wire in the pickups a few times.

- Austin


Oh it'll be a good time taking all of them, I'm just not home currently to do so!

I have to do some rewiring as someone replaced most of the wiring but thankfully left the pickups intact. They are definitely hot and loud that's for sure, loudest pickup I've ever played.


Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 112 guests