My Mosrite Combo -- Showing Off and Asking Questions

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Re: My Mosrite Combo -- Showing Off and Asking Questions

Postby Haole Jim » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:53 pm

That is one sweet looking Combo.

'Have a similar sunburst 4-boltt neck and she is a real sweetie. Interesting; the frets look "rough-filed-flat-topped" on yours, too? Hmm...?

GuyaGuy

Postby GuyaGuy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:31 pm

Mr. Bill wrote:She's a real beauty! I love the red ones. You're right, the construction of the Combo body is very similar to the way that the Rickenbacker's were (and still are) made.

The pickups used in the hollow bodies were the same ones used in the solids. I know that we have been discussing your pickups in another thread. The only way to find out what is happening with the 7K one is probably to open it up and see what is inside it. If the magnets change strength with time or exposure it will not change the resistance of the pickup coil, as that is only a factor of the size and the length of the coil wire.

A quick acoustic strum sounds very similar to that boxy acoustic sound of an unplugged Rick!
I'll start a new thread when I get time to take a look-see...

The AmpFibian wrote:Sweet looking Combo..I have a wine red one that is without the neck screwplate..I never was sure what year is..maybe 68? I always get complements on the looks and sound ..you will too! Mine plays great even though the neck is a out of line The Hi E string string lays in line with the edge of the neck and the Low E is further away from the edge, if that makes sense. Some one told me it need to be shimmed in the pocket.

That can help if it's just an angle issue. But you might want to check for warping.

Haole Jim wrote:That is one sweet looking Combo.

'Have a similar sunburst 4-boltt neck and she is a real sweetie. Interesting; the frets look "rough-filed-flat-topped" on yours, too? Hmm...?

Thanks! I've played 3 Mosrites and they all have frets like that--very thin, low and flat. Some of the flatness could be due to age but I think it's also the intended design of a fast neck--much like the fretless wonders of Gibson. I have to admit, it takes getting used to if I play the Combo for a while and switch to my Surfcaster with jumbo frets--or vice versa. But I quickly came to love the low, low frets of the Mosrite.

GuyaGuy

Postby GuyaGuy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:50 pm

Well I did it. I drilled right into her. It was a bit traumatic but it's all over now that I've played it with the new strap button position. It's SOOOOO much better--no more neck dive AND the guitar neck doesn't feel like it is 6 inches to the left from where it should be. Now it's just as comfortable standing as it is sitting. Combo owners, I HIGHLY recommend this if you feel your guitar is out of balance.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Noted in case I want to build a Combo or Combo-type guitar, Thanks.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

jeffee

Postby jeffee » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:49 am

hmmm. i've never felt like mine was outta balance.. i can switch between a J-200 gibson and the 65 combo and all feels fine.

GuyaGuy

Postby GuyaGuy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:18 pm

Huh. I think mine is 67. Maybe they got lighter and neck heavier by then? Maybe I just have super short arms? Maybe both?

GuyaGuy

Postby GuyaGuy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:28 pm

FritzCat wrote:That's the one (Roberto Venn). They had several for sale, but no current listings on ebay.

By chance I ran across this mention of Semie being at Roberto Venn in this interview with Lollar:

When did you first fall in love with the P-90?
Well that was Semi Moseley, Bob Venn and John Robert’s fault. They use to teach students how to wind pickups at Roberto Venn.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/j ... p-artist-1

I wonder if Semie just dropped off some of his stock.

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:10 pm

To quote one of my previous posts:

Googling Roberto Venn and Semie Mosely together brings up a lot of info, I found a post by dorkrockrecords on this very forum: "I do not know if Semie was his mentor or if Bob Venn ever worked at Mosrite, but they certainly were friends from Bakersfield. When Bob moved from Bakersfield to Arizona, he brought with him a parts cache of hundreds of Mosrite bodies that was unfortunately destroyed in an arson fire at the school. " And HERE'S a thread on another forum with a pic of a bunch of Mosrite bodies. I wonder how long ago this pic was taken, and if any other parts are left?

GuyaGuy

Postby GuyaGuy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:05 am

Interesting! I've visited the school. They still had bits and pieces of other vintage parts around when I was there.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”