My '76 Brass Rail

dtribby

My '76 Brass Rail

Postby dtribby » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:23 am

I figured I'd better get some pics up before I get booted for holding out!

These aren't the best pics, but most of mine are on paper, and I haven't taken any in a while.

Enjoy!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: My '76 Brass Rail

Postby Veenture » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:47 am

THOSE BRASS RAILS REALLY ARE SOMETHING ELSE :shock:

You're lucky to have one dtribby -and a nice one too! The plaque/neckplate covering seems rather special too. Thanks for sharing the pics with uz.

I think that sparkly black finish will tickle the fancy of at least one guy here: ...Oypunkguy! ;)

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks for sharing pics of your very cool guitar!

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:33 am

Sweet! Nice sunburst neck, too! How would you say it plays?

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

dtribby

Postby dtribby » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:36 am

It plays pretty smoothly when it's taken care of. The action is super low and mostly buzz free all the way from the zero to fret 22. If the frets get tarnished, though, bending does get tougher. And it doesn't seem to matter what guage string I put on it, the brass rail doesn't budge. It's held dead straight all of these years - not that you could adjust it if you wanted to. I generally prefer a slicker neck, like tung oil or a satin finish, but it's not any grabbier than my Les Paul. Just heavier! Sustain is never an issue either. Between the rail and the hot pups, she'll hum as long as you like. I don't know what he put under those plastic covers, but they've got rail pole-pieces instead of individual screws like some 80's humbuckers used to.
I've never seen a bicentennial plaque on another, but I've been told there were a few. It even has the S/N, 024, on it so it was probably individually etched.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:26 pm

Very, very nice. I sure hope to add one of these to my little collection one day. :mrgreen:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:07 am

Nice Brass Rail!! It is the only one I have seen with the plaque that is not the deluxe model. I do not know why some of these guitars had the plaque on the guitar and others on the case. My deluxe has it on the case. The deluxe #1 that was on ebay a while back had it on the case. Great guitar!!

Mosriteforever!!!

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:17 am

dtribby wrote:It plays pretty smoothly when it's taken care of. The action is super low and mostly buzz free all the way from the zero to fret 22. If the frets get tarnished, though, bending does get tougher. And it doesn't seem to matter what guage string I put on it, the brass rail doesn't budge. It's held dead straight all of these years - not that you could adjust it if you wanted to. I generally prefer a slicker neck, like tung oil or a satin finish, but it's not any grabbier than my Les Paul. Just heavier! Sustain is never an issue either. Between the rail and the hot pups, she'll hum as long as you like. I don't know what he put under those plastic covers, but they've got rail pole-pieces instead of individual screws like some 80's humbuckers used to.
I've never seen a bicentennial plaque on another, but I've been told there were a few. It even has the S/N, 024, on it so it was probably individually etched.

Thanks, dtribby, Sounds like a really solid guitar. How heavy is it?

mosriteforever wrote:Nice Brass Rail!! It is the only one I have seen with the plaque that is not the deluxe model. I do not know why some of these guitars had the plaque on the guitar and others on the case. My deluxe has it on the case. The deluxe #1 that was on ebay a while back had it on the case. Great guitar!!

Mosriteforever!!!

And Adam's #7 Deluxe model had it on the plaque, From what I remember.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Yeah Adam is the expert on the brass rail models. Really nice guitar. Is that really a black sparkle on the back, or is that just dust on the guitar????? :? :? ;)
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

dtribby

Postby dtribby » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:17 am

I haven't weighed it to see exactly how heavy it is, but it's at least as heavy as my LP Custom. Probably around 9-10 lbs. I'll have to look into that and get back to you.

The finish in the front and back of the body has large-ish metallic flake in the finish, but it's not on the neck or headstock. I suppose there really aren't two of these alike anywhere, are there?

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”