hank thompson's joe maphis model mosrite

nategibson

hank thompson's joe maphis model mosrite

Postby nategibson » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:48 am

here went a beauty! hank thompson's 1960s joe maphis model mosrite. beauty! i've never seen a maphis model with this finish. my hope was to win this one and sell my own maphis model but alas, i was outbid in the auction... perhaps somebody here won it???

as for price, it ended up going for $5,000 (4G plus 25% fee)... too steep for my blood, but an awesome find for somebody...

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_ ... ebfd9ec5e2

some might pretty instruments were auctioned off with it this a.m. including hank williams 47 martin, buddy holly's gibson, bill monroe's gibson mandolin, roy acuff's fiddle and many more... hank had a mosrite dobro taht also sold...

handbrake
Top Producer

Re: hank thompson's joe maphis model mosrite

Postby handbrake » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:37 am

Wow, didn't know about that auction--not that it would've made any difference! Beautiful instrument. Love the finish on it.

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Postby TerryTNM » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:53 am

Would have been fun just to watch the auction.

I guess I wasn't on the list of potential bidders :lol:

Thanks for posting - Terry

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:40 pm

I had a buddy there who was bidding on some other stuff, and I told him to bid up to 3K on the hank thompson Mosrite, but after that it just got too rich for my blood. And why did they have this auction so close to Christmas, too? Oh well!

There was some awesome stuff in the auction, it would have been nice to be a millionaire for this one....

Deke

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:21 pm

So cool! Anyone know if there more of these custom Maphis' out there?

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:54 pm

Besides the fact that this instrument was Hank Thompson's, with a very cool inlaid pickguard, the most intriguing thing about this guitar was the sparkleburst finish. There are exactly two sparkleburst Mosrite Ventures model guitars that have shown up over the years, and I believe Bill Gruggett has said that the sparkleburst finish was a one-time deal that they did for a batch of instruments that the Ventures played at the 1965 NAMM show.

If that's the case, then Hank Thompson's sparkleburst Joe maphis model was probably done at the same time, and it is probably the only other sparkleburst (original) instrument.

The only one that hasn't turned up is the Ventures sparkleburst BASS, that must be floating around somewhere.

So anyway, for me, it was a Joe Maphis model guitar and not that exciting of a piece, but the fact that it was Hank Thompson's, and the fact that it had this incredibly rare sparkleburst finish that made me want to bid on it. But....I lost out, easy come easy go!

Deke

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:47 pm

Deke posted:
The only one that hasn't turned up is the Ventures sparkleburst BASS, that must be floating around somewhere.

......Japan??...... :|
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

nategibson

Postby nategibson » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:47 pm

wasn't barbara mandrell's blue doubleneck also a sparkleburst finish?

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:55 pm

Yes! Barbra's 80's doubleneck was a sparkleburst. It was silver sparkle center to a light trans. blue on the outer edge. Very nice finish for her.

Here is one of the 1965 Ventures NAMM show models Deke mentioned earlier. I am the proud owner of this one and have had this guitar for a quite a while. It is not in mint condition as you can see, but the guitar is one of my favorites to play. I completely freaked out when I saw it for the first time. I did not know it was an "event" guitar until much later after I had purchased it. It is worn a bit however it is still in good condithion. There is definately something about it. It feels right. It looks great under the lights too. A real showster.

I brought this guitar with me to the last Deke Dickerson Guitar Geek Festival as the theme was and all Mosrite band. I played it (unplugged) on stage for the "Batman" theme song. Then handed it off to George Barris during the song and he wanged on it like a mad man and handed it back up to me. What a gas!

The other 65 NAMM Ventures Sparkleburst (gold to red) is in Japan and is in much better condition than mine.

Anyone who does not have a way back machine and digs this finish may want to check out one of our new 60 Customs. 65 Comes alive!

Bob

apossibleworld

Postby apossibleworld » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:36 pm

Here's a bigger shot of the Hank Thompson guitar. It's gorgeous. I wish I could have bought it, but it seemed like whoever bought it was going to buy it no matter high the price went. Is anybody here the new owner?

I also remember that it had a double stamped serial number, one on top of the other. I'll find a photo of that too if folks are interested.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”