Just played this '65 Mark 1

ElTwang
Top Producer

Re: Just played this '65 Mark 1

Postby ElTwang » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:18 am

Fantastic, Danny.

I'll talk to the dealer tomorrow and maybe drop by his shop on Friday to take some pics.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:29 am

Got pics from the dealer today. Everything seems to be original and a-ok! Still it's strange with that serialnumber.

Pics coming up. Just posted some WAY too big ;-)

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:58 am

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:02 am

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:46 am

It looks like the real deal.

I can't see them very well in the photo, but it looks like it has had the speed frets removed and standard small frets installed. That would possibly explain why there is no serial number. Many times when frets are pulled small chips of rosewood is pulled out also requiring the fretboard to be 'dressed' down. On some Mosrites the serial numbers are stamped very lightly, so it would be easy to sand it away.

Also, the black shielding paint is a modern adaptation. Although it appears to be wired correctly with the original wire, I believe the capacitor has been changed probably in an effort to get a brighter tone. But maybe not as I can not read it's value. All I can see it is 10 volt. The screw in the pickguard in front of the pickup, under the neck was not used after '64, so apparently the nitrate pickguard started to bow and someone added an extra screw.

Hope this helps.
Danny Ellison

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:10 am

LOL, Danny, you should write the book :shock:

Maybe the neck has been dressed as you say. I can confirm that it feels way different than the Combo I used to own which 100% sure was speedfret'ed. Seller claims that some of the pots were covered with solder and read ceramic 05 as you stated. How many of those discs/pots should be there?

I've mailed your answer from yesterday to the shop including the pics. Your new views gives me even more insight. Let's say all your points are correct, Danny. What are we then talking about vintage/collector wise?

Again, I can't thank you enough for your help!!

Lars

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:46 am

....and who's Mary? ;)

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:47 am

First off, I am no expert. I'm just an enthusiast and hobbyist. Mosrite's intrigue me so I try to learn as much about them as I can. There are some expert's on the forum here but they don't seem to speak up very often, if ever. ;) They just sit back and laugh at my explanations. :lol:

I just noticed the added grounding jumper wire across the back of the pots. Also I'm not seeing the grounding wire that comes from the under the vibrato into the cavity. It would appear that who ever applied the grounding paint forgot to use the ground wire to from vibrato to the pots. They were trying so hard to reduce all the noise and left off one of the major ingredients. It's a simple fix to get everything back to normal If you get the guitar, I'll walked you through it.

As for collector's value, it's hard to say without seeing some more pics over all. With those few minor changes that has been done in the past, it's still a vintage '66 Mosrite, so from there everything will depend on condition. The main question is, are you thinking of buying it for you own use or for collector resale? Then the next question is, how bad do you want it? If you have followed Mosrite sales on eBay the price for a mid sixties can go form $2000 to $5000 USD. If it has the original case and hasn't been modified and has all original parts, naturally it will have more collectors value. For a players value, as long as it plays and sound good, then that is the important thing.

You said you may trade in some other guitars for this one. Are those you are trading collectors pieces? If not, you are getting a 1966 Mosrite and that's pretty neat. They will never make a '66 again. :lol:
Danny Ellison

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Yep, I hear what you are saying. As said before it's very worn here and there - has a lot of beltbuckle scratches, paint down the neck is so-so, Moseley vibro could probably use a new spring (unless one can thighten it?).
Like in, this thing has been played a lot! Which I think is absolutely cool. Love worn guitars and generally think they sound better than NewOldStock-like guitars.

I'm looking for a vintage Mosrite to play and not to collect. But I don't want to pay 100% original prices for something that isn't hence the fretboard and minor flaws you've mentioned. But maybe the seller don't care and then I have a choice to make. Also I have to make up my mind wether I want and try to trade/sell my brand new Gretsch 6119 and '69 SG Special (refinished and modded some places) to get this one.

8000$ is a heck of a lot. Also in European prices ;-).

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:06 pm

dubtrub wrote:It would appear that who ever applied the grounding paint forgot to use the ground wire to from vibrato to the pots. They were trying so hard to reduce all the noise and left off one of the major ingredients.

Please explain?

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”