Trying to date an early Ventures Model

JWKII

Trying to date an early Ventures Model

Postby JWKII » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:14 pm

I am the proud owner of serial number 1037 Ventures Model, white pearl, Vibramute all original with the original case. I bought it in 1967 and I am trying to date it. I believe it is a 1965 but some are saying it is a ’64; is there anyone who can confirm the year?

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Trying to date an early Ventures Model

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:42 pm

Welcome to the forum. Please stop by the Introduction forum, introduce yourself and become a part of the Mosrite family.

The best way to determine the year of manufacture is to take the neck off and look at the date stamped on the neck and in the neck pocket. I have a '64 and the serial number starts with a zero. The serial number chart shows early '65 started with zero, then changed starting with the number one.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:18 pm

JWKII wrote:I am the proud owner of serial number 1037 Ventures Model, white pearl, Vibramute all original with the original case. I bought it in 1967 and I am trying to date it. I believe it is a 1965 but some are saying it is a ’64; is there anyone who can confirm the year?

Welcome to the 'Site JWKII. You had mentioned that some people are saying that it's a '64?? The best way to do this would be:
1) Make sure you loosen ALL of the strings
2) Look at the Neckplate. If you've ever seen a Neckplate on the back of a Mosrite,
the neck screws are of a decent size like most neckscrews (like on a Fender).
3) If the screws look smaller than usual, you should be able to remove the Neckplate
without the neck coming loose, because the REAL Neckscrews will be deeper inside of the body.
Another words, the Chromed Neck Plate is nothing more than a cover plate for the actual Neck Screws.
If this is the case, than your Mosrite will be that of a 1964. This is the only year they did this. ;)
Again, WELCOME!

Standard neck plate with screws on a '65.

Neck screws are under the cover plate attached with small screws on a '64.
ImageImage
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

JWKII

Postby JWKII » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Ok, so again the confusion. Dubtrub places the serial number in 1965 yet Dennisthe Menace states that the cover plate with the small screws (like mine) was only made in 1964????????????????

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:10 pm

No confusion here, we are just giving you some things to check for, to possibly zero
in what year that the Mosrite might be.....
You also got to remember that there is not that much difference between Danny's
#0XXX and your #1037 in a one year's production. Also keep in mind, it was not unusual
for some of these plates possibly carrying over to some early '65s. Mosrite was NOTORIOUS
for transitional Models at the end of a Model Year...... ;)

JWKII

Postby JWKII » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:25 pm

I’m certainly not doubting any ones expertise and I know that record keeping was not one of his strong points. Mine has four small (#1 Phillips heads) screws holding on the cover plate and four larger (have never removed them) screws that attach the neck to the body…1964?

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Every indication is pointing to a '64, yes.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:36 pm

JWKII wrote:I’m certainly not doubting any ones expertise and I know that record keeping was not one of his strong points. Mine has four small (#1 Phillips heads) screws holding on the cover plate and four larger (have never removed them) screws that attach the neck to the body…1964?

No experts here that I know of. Just a group of Mosrite enthusiast in search of as much truth and accuracy as possible by putting together the pieces. The only expert was Semie. ;)

Like I said earlier, one of the most accurate ways to determine the year of manufacture would be to check the dates in the neck pocket. You will need to remove the neck pick up so that you don't damage anything. If you decide to go that route, lift the neck straight up when removing it from the body. It is slightly tapered and should not be pulled forward. Let us know what you find.
Danny Ellison

JWKII

Postby JWKII » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:42 pm

Thanks, I appreciate your help. Even though my hand damaged in a car accident in ’72 and the old girl has been sitting (with strings loosened) in her case ever since I have just not been able to think about selling her.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:47 pm

JWKII wrote:Thanks, I appreciate your help. Even though my hand damaged in a car accident in ’72 and the old girl has been sitting (with strings loosened) in her case ever since I have just not been able to think about selling her.

Unless you absolutely need the money, I wouldn't even consider selling it. After owning it this long, it's a part of your personal history. Let someone else worry about selling it when it's time.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”