Here's my Brass Rail

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Here's my Brass Rail

Postby 101Volts » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:46 pm

The Deluxe models have both active and passive electronics plus two phase switches. There are two output jacks on those models; One only outputs Passive, One outputs both. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There are also six potentiometers on them, Pictured is Deluxe No. 5:

Quite frankly, There's a lot of wiring.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

sumlin

Postby sumlin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:21 am

Gotcha. My thoughts are that it existed as a Deluxe model and was then modified to house more simple electrics. The other modifications/markings (the shim on the zero fret, the play wear etc) point to it having been regularly played at some point in it's life if not recently. It feels like it was simplified at some point in time, either early on before it left the factory or the owner brought it back/did it themselves and the Deluxe electrics were taken out and replaced by a simple set up. There is certainly a vast yawning route in the guitar that currently houses just 2 lonely pots covered in salt residue and the jackplate is huge and looks like it would have been stereo at some point.
Like Elisha said, even though the routing is comical the pickguard matches the original perfectly in terms of material so it does suggest it was done in-house. You guys know more than I do about the quality of repairs and modifications at Mosrite in the 70s.
I'll get a date code off the pots once I clean them up.
My current thoughts are to get a new double-size guard cut from tortoiseshell material that replaces both the current pickguards and fits the existing holes, covering up the hole at the join and allowing me to potentially wire this with stereo outputs as I think it'd be interesting. Obviously I'd keep the original pickguards and pots etc. So I may be begging for a wiring diagram soon!
Brass Rail #43
Acoustic Black Widow #BC1092
MkV #B735
Univox Hi Fliers, Tele Deluxes, Harmony Bobkats

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:43 am

I've seen a few Brass Rails with similar characteristics in the same range of serial numbers i.e. 30-40s. I don't believe any of these guitars ever had "deluxe" electronics as those serials occurred much earlier. Rather I believe they simply started life with leftover rear-route bodies that were routed once again for the top configuration. The control placement on the second guard is highly peculiar though for any configuration of Brass Rail, even this Swiss cheese transitional period. Perhaps Eddy will chime in?

sumlin

Postby sumlin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:01 am

dorkrockrecords wrote:I've seen a few Brass Rails with similar characteristics in the same range of serial numbers i.e. 30-40s. I don't believe any of these guitars ever had "deluxe" electronics as those serials occurred much earlier. Rather I believe they simply started life with leftover rear-route bodies that were routed once again for the top configuration. The control placement on the second guard is highly peculiar though for any configuration of Brass Rail, even this Swiss cheese transitional period. Perhaps Eddy will chime in?

It's bizarre that it's been routed so heavily for such a small control area which is what makes me think it had a different set of electrics originally. It looks similar in layout and pickguard colour to the Brass Rail with the trem that's been on this forum before and that had all it's electrics on an identically shaped lower guard. What strikes me as well is that the two knobs on it are really well positioned for adjusting and 'violining' in line with where you'd strum if you rested your hand on the bridge. This is what makes me feel someone took it out, kept hitting the wrong dials and took it to get modified, asking for the simplest set up in the best spot.
Adam - have you see a Brass Rail routed as badly as this one?! It looks like I did it myself and trust me, that is not a compliment!
Brass Rail #43
MkV #B735

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:19 am

I have seen three routed that way, yes. Mosrites can be exceedingly crude at times. Also the Brass Rail with the trem was a Partsrite assembled by Eddy Elliott I believe, which is why I was curious for him to chime in here.

coanda

Postby coanda » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:32 am

I just thought I would post a picture of my Brass Rail No 38, it would seem to show evidence of filled holes under the finish, for what ever electronic wizadary that was never fitted, one has to wonder if any two of these guitars are the same!

sumlin

Postby sumlin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:48 am

Is 38 the one that sold on EBay recently? I bidded on that and was gutted that it went above my means, it's a beautiful guitar. The pickguard material looks absolutely identical to mine (both of them - though the lower one has smaller screws).
Brass Rail #43
MkV #B735

coanda

Postby coanda » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:51 am

Hi
Yes it did sell on ebay, the buyer however decided it was too heavy, an went for a lighter model!
I kept the Brass Rail.... And am very glad how it all worked out... A fabulous Guitar!!
Cheers
Rick

sumlin

Postby sumlin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:56 am

No way! It got to 2 grand and I started getting a nosebleed and backed out! You did the right thing...
Brass Rail #43
MkV #B735

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 am

Ha! Thanks Sumlin! I'm actually waiting to find one I can afford to add to my flock of Mosrites. Or is it gaggle of Mosrites? Hmmm...we need a correct term for a collection of Mosrites...perhaps a Menagerie of Mosrites?
Scott

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”