serial numbers?

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Re: serial numbers?

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:32 am

Don't let the quiet deceive you. There are many eyes watching... ;)

Scoot

Postby Scoot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:55 am

Ha ha

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:11 am

Sarah93003 wrote:Sorry, I was in a rush. ;)

Dasmoriteguy, finding and collecting exact Mosrite information is very difficult. This forum represents the largest repository of Mosrite related information on the internet.

It's my understanding that all Mosrite historical documentation, such as serial number lists, were lost in one or two factory fires. I'm going to guess that I have the most accurate list of Mosrite Celebrity serial numbers. I think I have collected about 500 so far. I have yet to collate all of that information to create a matrix that would reveal batch sizes, etc. As much as possible I collect pot codes so I can get an idea of when they were built. My website is WAY over due for an update and it's tough to find the time to do so. I had aspirations of doing a similar site for the Combo but that will likely have to wait until I retire in about 6 or 7 years. Alternatively I suppose I could add a couple of pages to my site and include other Mosrite data.

BRRanger, when I went back and read the thread, I had to chuckle as well. :D

I just bought a Celebrity 3. Its a nice grassy green. Serial # is K-2226
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:35 am

In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:14 am

GTSP wrote:
Sarah93003 wrote:Sorry, I was in a rush. ;)

Dasmoriteguy, finding and collecting exact Mosrite information is very difficult. This forum represents the largest repository of Mosrite related information on the internet.

It's my understanding that all Mosrite historical documentation, such as serial number lists, were lost in one or two factory fires. I'm going to guess that I have the most accurate list of Mosrite Celebrity serial numbers. I think I have collected about 500 so far. I have yet to collate all of that information to create a matrix that would reveal batch sizes, etc. As much as possible I collect pot codes so I can get an idea of when they were built. My website is WAY over due for an update and it's tough to find the time to do so. I had aspirations of doing a similar site for the Combo but that will likely have to wait until I retire in about 6 or 7 years. Alternatively I suppose I could add a couple of pages to my site and include other Mosrite data.

BRRanger, when I went back and read the thread, I had to chuckle as well. :D

I just bought a Celebrity 3. Its a nice grassy green. Serial # is K-2226

That is gorgeous! Nice find. Yours is one of the highest serial numbers I've seen from the K series. K2228 and K2231 are the only ones I've higher. If you ever get curious to flip over the control panel and get the pot codes, that would be super cool! Seriously, it would. :lol:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

wombat
Valued Member

Postby wombat » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:58 pm

I love that green guitar!

halfblank

Postby halfblank » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:49 am

I just ran across Celebrity serial number K0442 at Guitar Center here in Athens, GA. Its in really good shape, sunburst body/neck, black headstock. Looks to be ‘67 maybe? Has a later 70’s bridge but I could be mistaken. Has been refretted, unless this is a 70’s model with the larger frets. Not really sure. Action is not great. I took pictures but don’t know how to post them on here.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:19 pm

halfblank wrote:I just ran across Celebrity serial number K0442 at Guitar Center here in Athens, GA. Its in really good shape, sunburst body/neck, black headstock. Looks to be ‘67 maybe? Has a later 70’s bridge but I could be mistaken. Has been refretted, unless this is a 70’s model with the larger frets. Not really sure. Action is not great. I took pictures but don’t know how to post them on here.

I grabbed some photos from their website. The action is pretty easy to take care of on these. It's not a bad price and it looks to be in good condition. I'd say 1968 based on the serial number. The bridge and all other hardware are correct. Yes it has been refretted. If there was a spacer in the neck pocket, very likely, it may have not been replaced causing the action to be high.
1982 Fender Bullet

halfblank

Postby halfblank » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:46 pm

Wow I checked out their pictures, you think they’d do it more justice. It’s a pretty guitar but those pics are dull and dark!

Sarah - what do you think about Celebrity serial number A0506? What year would that be? I just bought it, you may have seen it on ebay. Just the body/neck. Really cool guitar.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:30 pm

halfblank wrote:Wow I checked out their pictures, you think they’d do it more justice. It’s a pretty guitar but those pics are dull and dark!

Sarah - what do you think about Celebrity serial number A0506? What year would that be? I just bought it, you may have seen it on ebay. Just the body/neck. Really cool guitar.

Congratulations on your purchase! That one happens to be what we call the "Original Celebrity". These were the first Celebrities before Semie and Andy decided to split that model into three variations: Celebrity-I, Celebrity-II, and Celebrity-III. I believe that occurred about 1968.

I'm going to give examples below as evidence from the samples that I have collected over the past 10+ years.

Of the original Celebrities, the first 12 (that I know of) were "set necks". Then they went to a mortise and tenon neck joint. These have two screws visible on the back and no control plate for the knobs, etc. The pickup selector switch is on the treble side horn and the knobs are through holds in the top of the bout. That continued through serial number A0765 from my records.

Then it went to a strat style butt joint for the neck secured with 3 screws that eventually went to 4 screws. In my archives, A0767 is the first one I have in this configuration. These have a control plate on the bout where the knobs, pickup selector, and input jack are located. Beginning with these, the A series are called Celebrity-I and have a thicker bout with deluxe hardware. The Celebrity-II's are the thinline deluxe version. Then, the Celebrity-III's are thinline but entry level with less than deluxe hardware.

Hopefully that helps.
1982 Fender Bullet

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”