NGD - My first Mosrite

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: NGD - My first Mosrite

Postby Greg_L » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 am

MozRite wrote:
You got it for a very good price. You actually scored well.

On eBay right now there is a new set of Ed Elliot pickups for $199 plus about $8 shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ed-Elliott-Cus ... SwP6VcQMqD

Yeah I got those on my watch list. I'm gonna wait a bit though and give these original pickups a fair shot.

MozRite

Postby MozRite » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 am

I see from your profile picture you have a Hallmark. Is it a 1965 or the 1959 model? How does the Hallmark and vintage Mosrite compare?
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1969 Firstman Avenger Mark 1
2007 Fillmore Mosrite Mark 1
1964 Gretsch Country Club
1962 Kay Swingmaster
2003 Fender Jazzmaster AVRI
2015 Fender Classic Player '60s Strat
1999 Danelectro Mod 6
2002 Tokai Jumbo Acoustic

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:31 pm

MozRite wrote:I see from your profile picture you have a Hallmark. Is it a 1965 or the 1959 model? How does the Hallmark and vintage Mosrite compare?

It's a 60 Custom.

After having a real Mosrite on my bench all taken apart, I'd say the Hallmark compares very very well. I've always believed the Hallmarks are the best Mosrite clones in the business, and I feel that I can confirm it now. I've been through my Hallmark too, and to me it seems Bob Shade has done it right. And in the Hallmark's favor, it actually plays more like a "normal" guitar with it's wider neck and regular frets. The Mosrite neck and frets is it's own thing. That's part of the charm of a Mosrite. But I'm also a fan of Gibsons and I can go from my Les Pauls and SGs right to the Hallmark and the necks and scale length feel pretty similar. There's much more metal adjustment going on when grabbing the Mosrite. I can't really comment on the pickups yet, but I think the Hallmark pickups are in the ballpark. I have a custom made bridge pickup in my Hallmark, but the stock ones do the fat hot single coil Mosrite thing very well. I haven't done any physical dimension measurements or anything, but besides the necks, I'd say they're very similar and the Hallmark totally nails the look and vibe of a Mosrite. And since most of the music I play is punk, the Halmark's playability really scores it highly in a comparison.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Ugh, I think I'm gonna have to refret this thing. :(

The 3rd fret B string has a big dent and it buzzes.

MozRite

Postby MozRite » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:51 pm

Greg_L wrote:Ugh, I think I'm gonna have to refret this thing. :(

Are you going to refret to larger frets or keep to the Mosrite tradition of the small low frets?

I just scored a circa 1972 Mosrite Mark 1 so I wonder how the frets are on that? Small or did they go to bigger frets then or did someone after some time change to bigger frets too? The guitar should arrive next Thursday. Yours is more valuable and sought after than a 1970s model but maybe it will be good.

I think I have too many Mosrites now. I also scored a Mosrite Jr. mistakenly. It's not a Mini Mosrite but a Jr or Junior so I didn't notice on the auction it's smaller. The neck is the same but the body is smaller. It should arrive next week too. I'll probably sell it if I don't like it.
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1969 Firstman Avenger Mark 1
2007 Fillmore Mosrite Mark 1
1964 Gretsch Country Club
1962 Kay Swingmaster
2003 Fender Jazzmaster AVRI
2015 Fender Classic Player '60s Strat
1999 Danelectro Mod 6
2002 Tokai Jumbo Acoustic

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:43 am

MozRite wrote:
Greg_L wrote:Ugh, I think I'm gonna have to refret this thing. :(

Are you going to refret to larger frets or keep to the Mosrite tradition of the small low frets?

I just scored a circa 1972 Mosrite Mark 1 so I wonder how the frets are on that? Small or did they go to bigger frets then or did someone after some time change to bigger frets too? The guitar should arrive next Thursday. Yours is more valuable and sought after than a 1970s model but maybe it will be good.

I think I have too many Mosrites now. I also scored a Mosrite Jr. mistakenly. It's not a Mini Mosrite but a Jr or Junior so I didn't notice on the auction it's smaller. The neck is the same but the body is smaller. It should arrive next week too. I'll probably sell it if I don't like it.

If I do a refret....big if....I'm going to use something better than the Mosrite frets. I keep seeing recommendations for Dunlop Accu-Fret 6340. I want this guitar to be playable, so I'll use small frets to keep it looking and feeling original, but not file them down to nothing. Normal crowns. It's really only one fret causing a problem, but that one fret is pretty bad now that I've got the neck all straight and cleaned up. And it's in a bad spot. The 3rd fret. That one sees a lot of action. And really, the first 5 frets could use some help, so might as well get a refret done and have the guitar be perfect.

I don't want to do this, but I bought this guitar to enjoy it.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”