1964 Ventures Bass

Pipeline64

1964 Ventures Bass

Postby Pipeline64 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:07 am

Hi, new to this forum. Years ago I purchased a Ventures Bass at a garage sale. I don’t play bass so it’s basically been a wall hanger because it’s a cool guitar and I am a huge Ventures fan. Recently got I reacquainted at my 50th high school reunion with an old high school buddy/band mate/bass player and he came over to my house and we jammed with him playing the Mosrite. It got me interested in the bass again. The stamped serial number on the neck on the last fret is 5830. When I first got it I was told the date of manufacture was on the neck and body where they were joined. Being curious I took the neck off and found the date of “Feb 1964” stamped on both. The body is blue, the neck and headstock are natural. On the headstock is Mosrite of California preceded by the letter M in a multi-point seal and Ventures Model logo. It plays fairly well but needs strings and possibly the pots cleaned. I guess what I’m asking is how rare is this bass and a ball park figure. Is worth more in its well played worn paint condition or restored? I don’t have any plans to sell it, but curiosity has the best of me. Thanks for any info.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: 1964 Ventures Bass

Postby Greg_L » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Pipeline64 wrote:Hi, new to this forum. Years ago I purchased a Ventures Bass at a garage sale. I don’t play bass so it’s basically been a wall hanger because it’s a cool guitar and I am a huge Ventures fan. Recently got I reacquainted at my 50th high school reunion with an old high school buddy/band mate/bass player and he came over to my house and we jammed with him playing the Mosrite. It got me interested in the bass again. The stamped serial number on the neck on the last fret is 5830. When I first got it I was told the date of manufacture was on the neck and body where they were joined. Being curious I took the neck off and found the date of “Feb 1964” stamped on both. The body is blue, the neck and headstock are natural. On the headstock is Mosrite of California preceded by the letter M in a multi-point seal and Ventures Model logo. It plays fairly well but needs strings and possibly the pots cleaned. I guess what I’m asking is how rare is this bass and a ball park figure. Is worth more in its well played worn paint condition or restored? I don’t have any plans to sell it, but curiosity has the best of me. Thanks for any info.

I don't know what it's worth, but I believe it is worth more in it's original, well-played condition. Do not "restore"...meaning re-paint. You can replace/repair faulty electrical components, but save the originals. A guitar that works is worth more than one that doesn't, and one with it's original finish but a little worn is worth more than one that's been refinished.

Replacing strings and cleaning pots is a simple procedure and doesn't hurt the originality/value whatsoever.

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:37 am

If it is the same bass as in your avatar, it may be what they call 'ink blue'.
Do you have anymore pictures?

Dickey

Postby Dickey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:19 pm

Keep it original. Only thing I replaced on my '65 Mosrite Ventures guitar was the tuners, to make it a batter guitar, but I have the originals safely ensconced to keep the value.
Funny how somethings are worth more restored (like a car) & others are not!

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”