Who made this pickup?

brrobert

Who made this pickup?

Postby brrobert » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:22 am

I recently came into a mid-60's Celebrity 3. Through Sarah's earlier research (she had actually chronicled this guitar!), it is established that the tuners and trapeze tailpiece were replaced, Also, the guitar once had pickups with the typical Mosrite logo covers of the time.

I'm interested in any idea who made the pickups that are presently in the guitar. I'm not a Mosrite expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I've owned 5 vintage Mosrites over the years and these pickups definitely have THE sound. They are very well constructed.

They have no markings, but don't appear to be new. The use of epoxy for the back is like the old Mosrite pickups. The Novak pickups and the M-3 California pickups use epoxy backing and unmarked covers just like the ones in this guitar, but those makers usually have some kind of label on the back of the pickup.These do not.

To my eye, the screws in the surrounds look less bright than the screws in the pickup. The epoxy and back of the pickup look aged to me.

Any theories as to the maker? Sarah mentioned that she thought they look original, albeit with different covers-- but that she would defer to the pickup experts.

panther
Top Producer

Re: Who made this pickup?

Postby panther » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:25 am

"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

brrobert

Postby brrobert » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Thanks Dennis... very cool!

The pu covers on my guitar don't have a logo-- like M-3 California and Novak. I've run across references to original Mosrite pickups with screws exposed and no logo, but I've never seen one.

khai123

Postby khai123 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:36 pm

Nice you grabbed this one!! I had been watching it and was waiting for my tax return to hit to nab it, but fate wasn’t on my side haha Really beautiful example. Love the flaming. Those look like legit pickups to me, but I am no expert.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”