Mosrite Celebrity - Help with ID

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Mosrite Celebrity - Help with ID

Postby 101Volts » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:48 pm

Good hearing it. How's the Truss Rod? I'm not sure if this is universal across all 1963 - 1993 Mosrites, but my 66's truss rod was removeable. I had it out once or twice, when I first got it. If you ever need a replacement, it's not a pain like with Fenders or Gibsons.

I can't say about the pots being original or not. The pickups, though, should be somewhere from 11k to 13k ohms. They're wound with AWG 44, if I understand right. Also, lots of people make this common mistake: Mosrite pickups are not P90s; they're not long enough. A Mosrite Bridge Pup will overdirve an amplifier easily, at full volume. Even easier if you have .13s on it.

By the way, be careful with the bridge and saddles. They're comfortable to palm mute with, but if you have the awful soft screws like the ones that came on my 66 when I got it, you may want to replace them. Then again, if a screw's having trouble when the end starts to go into the saddle before coming out the other end, you may want to leave it be; I lost a saddle that way.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

DeleteDelete

Postby DeleteDelete » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 pm

Hello Austin, I did see the truss rod nut, and thought it was odd how the neck looked “channeled” around it - this must be what you’re talking about right, the method for making it remove-able? It looks like it’s definitely been adjusted more than once - but I’m not knowledgeable enough to know what kind of shape it’s in. Regarding the bridge - I was going to try and adjust intonation today - now I’m wondering how much trouble this will be. Should I use some kind of penetrating oil on the screw threads first?
Mosrite Celebrity
1973 Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean
2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Caramel Burst
2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional New Honeyburst
2017 Fender SRV Stratocaster
2019 Fender Malmsteen Stratocaster
2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:34 pm

I'm not sure if that's the reaosn why the truss rod can be removed, or not.

Yes, definitely use penetrating oil first. But before you do that, remove the bridge to keep the oil away from the finish, and clean any dirt and/or dust bunnies before adding the oil. I'd suggest Liquid Wrench before P.B. Blaster, simply because P.B. Blaster stinks and you probably don't want that near a guitar. Maybe heat the oil to 150 F, too, if you want it to penetrate deeper. But, you don't really need to heat the oil; it's just an optional thing.

Also, I hope I didn't scare you away from changing the intonation too much. My problem saddle was more a matter of trying to remove the screw from the saddle, than it was about adjusting it. The threads at the very end got bunched up, and the screw broke off.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

DeleteDelete

Postby DeleteDelete » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:36 pm

I think I understand you now. I deep cleaned the bridge on Sunday and removed some grime. It really wasn’t that bad. I really want to use this guitar so intonation is a must - the E and A strings are close but the others are way off. I’m just going to get it as close as I can, it won’t be a “daily driver” but more of a special occasion guitar. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.
Mosrite Celebrity
1973 Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean
2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Caramel Burst
2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional New Honeyburst
2017 Fender SRV Stratocaster
2019 Fender Malmsteen Stratocaster
2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:57 pm

I'd be curious if the pots have a code stamped into them or any other markings.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”