Joe Maphis hollow body bass.

AltGrendel

Joe Maphis hollow body bass.

Postby AltGrendel » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:08 pm

Hello, I’m new to the forum so here’s my intro post.

As the title says, I recently purchased a Joe Maphis hollow body bass off Reverb. It’s currently being professionally restored to a point. It’s scheduled to get a slight neck twist removed, a refret, the finger board leveled. It was originally sunburst but is now natural and I like the natural look, so that’s staying. It was missing the bridge pickup, but I happen to have a replacement from another project.

I realize that serial numbers are pretty much a crap shoot but if anyone has an idea when SPR-0117 would have been made, I’d appreciate any info you might have. I found out about the dates on the pots after I dropped it off so I won’t be able to check them till I get it back in a few months.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Joe Maphis hollow body bass.

Postby 101Volts » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:16 am

Welcome. I do have a serial number list for Joe Maphis models (of all kinds, regardless of body shape,) but it still has great chunks missing out of it, and the basses are not the strong suit in the list.

viewtopic.php?p=71932#p71932

Are you sure you have a Joe Maphis Bass, though? "SPR-0117" does not sound like a Maphis number, but I only have 4 numbers of basses on the list, and they all start with an "R."

Does the body have an F Hole? If it does, it's a Combo model, which should also differ in body wood. Joe Maphis Models are supposed to be Walnut with a Spruce top, and I'm not sure of the Combo models. That said, I haven't documented Combo models very much, so I'm not even sure off the top of my head what a Combo model's serial number starts off with. Either way, "SPR" is a strange way to start off a Mosrite's serial number.

... Oh, and are you taking care to deepen the serial number on the fretboard in the fretboard leveling? I always have to stress that, to keep an instrument's history there and to not lose it. I've seen a serial number get lost all too often, and yours is a strange one.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

FrankJames
Top Producer

Postby FrankJames » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:31 pm

Welcome to the forum !!

AltGrendel

Postby AltGrendel » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:07 pm

It’s this one. (Hope the url works)

The serial number definitely starts with SPR and digging around indicates that the SP probably means special order. So this is a Combo model, not a Joe Maphis, correct?

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:32 pm

AltGrendel wrote:It’s this one. (Hope the url works)

(photo removed for quote.)

The serial number definitely starts with SPR and digging around indicates that the SP probably means special order. So this is a Combo model, not a Joe Maphis, correct?

Ah, I recognize your bass; I saw it on Reverb. Yes, it's a Combo model, so the body wood is not the same as a Joe Maphis Model.

You could be right about "SPR" being a special order number (I've seen "X" used in place of one strange and original Silverburst guitar, the "X" may mean "Experimental Finish.") However, "SPR" could also be the first owner's initials; it's hard to tell. Semie Moseley (founder and president of Mosrite Guitars) sometimes struck a person's initials into a fretboard. Either way, the serial number is unique.

Also, I just checked my few records of Combo Basses (which I have not posted on the forum.) The Combo Basses seem to have normally used the letter "R" to start the serial number, and "R" is in common with the Joe Maphis Basses. Then again, I only have 3 Combo basses documented, so far; R103, R255, and R0?30; I couldn't tell that one's second digit in.

Maybe Combo and Joe Maphis Bass models have identical necks. I know that the serial numbers don't start the same way on their Guitar counterparts, though.

Finally, I must stress (as you didn't mention anything about this yet,) please deepen the serial number if the fretboard needs leveled deeply enough. Much of Mosrite's history is a mystery, because their official records were lost in a factory fire in 1983.

- Austin

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, interesting looking bass you have there. I agree it appears to be a Combo Bass.
The Joe Maphis bass is the same shape but without the F hole.
If you still want to know the date of manufacture, there may be a date stamp on the neck heel and in the neck pocket.
This was a common procedure when the Mosrite factory was in full swing. However, if it was built at a time when the shop was a smaller scale operation, there may not be any date stamps or initials but then you can get a good estimate from the date codes on the pots.
Anyway enjoy that bass and feel free to update us on how the restoration is coming along.

AltGrendel

Postby AltGrendel » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:34 pm

Thanks. I did check before dropping it off for repair. There was no date stamp and unfortunately I didn’t learn about the dates on the pots till after I dropped it off. I will make sure all original parts are returned with the bass.

AltGrendel

Postby AltGrendel » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:23 pm

Ok, it’s finally back from the luthier. The only obvious changes was a twist in the neck was fixed, the fingerboard was leveled, polished, and refretted while preserving the serial number. The two large holes at the second pickup route were plugged and a second stock pickup was installed. The pick guard is now tort. The bridge was repositioned to properly line up with the neck.

Stuff you can’t see:
All electronics were replaced. Both strap buttons were doweled and reinforced. A crack at the lower button was fixed.

The pots weren’t original, they were both dated ‘89. I’m presuming that this is a pre-Ventures Combo.

I’m very happy with the results and think it sounds great. Anyone have any idea as to the wood used on this?

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:58 pm

AltGrendel wrote:Ok, it’s finally back from the luthier. The only obvious changes was a twist in the neck was fixed, the fingerboard was leveled, polished, and refretted while preserving the serial number. The two large holes at the second pickup route were plugged and a second stock pickup was installed. The pick guard is now tort. The bridge was repositioned to properly line up with the neck.

Stuff you can’t see:
All electronics were replaced. Both strap buttons were doweled and reinforced. A crack at the lower button was fixed.

Good hearing the progress. I'm surprised that the bridge was a bit off, but not much; my 1966 Ventures II has its neck just off-center. I had to put a shim on one side to angle it right.

AltGrendel wrote:The pots weren’t original, they were both dated ‘89. I’m presuming that this is a pre-Ventures Combo.

Ah. Also, the Ventures never endorsed the Combo model - though it has been said that dealers sometimes would stick Ventures decals on the headstocks to sell their merchandise. I've never really seen that except for once, on a Joe Maphis guitar, that shouldn't have had it.

AltGrendel wrote:I’m very happy with the results and think it sounds great. Anyone have any idea as to the wood used on this?

How's the scale length for you? I think it's 30.25"; short scale.

I know there's a Mosrite Catalog around somewhere that tells the type of wood used for the body. I've seen it, but I can't tell you precisely what it said. I know for sure that the neck is Maple, and the fretboard should be Indian Rosewood. The body may be Maple.

- Austin

AltGrendel

Postby AltGrendel » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:44 am

101Volts wrote:

How's the scale length for you? I think it's 30.25"; short scale.

I know there's a Mosrite Catalog around somewhere that tells the type of wood used for the body. I've seen it, but I can't tell you precisely what it said. I know for sure that the neck is Maple, and the fretboard should be Indian Rosewood. The body may be Maple.

- Austin

I like sort scale, it’s one of the reasons I purchased it. I also wanted a ‘Mosrite and a hollow body bass so this checked off several boxes.

I think you are right that it’s a maple body, certainly looks like it to me. I saw on a gbase listing that claimed Combos were only made for two years. It was for a ‘67 Combo according to them. Any idea if that’s true?

And there’s remains of black paint in the neck pocket so I think it was another black/red burst originally. I hope you’re adding this to your list.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”