Joe Maphis hollow body bass.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Joe Maphis hollow body bass.

Postby 101Volts » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:05 pm

AltGrendel wrote:I like sort scale, it’s one of the reasons I purchased it. I also wanted a ‘Mosrite and a hollow body bass so this checked off several boxes.

I think you are right that it’s a maple body, certainly looks like it to me. I saw on a gbase listing that claimed Combos were only made for two years. It was for a ‘67 Combo according to them. Any idea if that’s true?

And there’s remains of black paint in the neck pocket so I think it was another black/red burst originally. I hope you’re adding this to your list.

Alrighty then.

I'm not sure of the date range, I haven't yet found scans of the right Mosrite catalogs from 1966 - 1968. I get the feeling that the Combo was first available in 1966, and it should have also been available in 1967, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was carried to 1968. I have seen a few Combo Guitars in both Blue and Green, and guitars with both finishes are rare examples that seem to appear much later in the run than normal. A few of these late examples have the "Diamond" tuners, cheaper ones thought of as 1968-specific. However, I haven't confirmed that.

I have added your Bass to the list, yes. I haven't yet posted the list, though, because I want to confirm specifications of the Combo before I make that first post of the Combo model serial # list.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”