Need Help with Headstock of MK1

rrmcjeepster

Need Help with Headstock of MK1

Postby rrmcjeepster » Mon May 16, 2022 11:01 am

Howdy, I've reviewed the post on The Ventures MK1 timeline and I believe I have narrowed my guitar down to the year 1967 but there are a few questions I'm still trying to answer. My guitar has angled neck pickup, Moseley vibrato, volume and tone knobs have only the "M" on them, truss rod adjustment is at the headstock with plastic cover, has 8 screws in the scratchplate, Mosrite of California embossed on pickups with "R" trademark and NO Ventures sticker. Also the Vibrato has the patent number.

I' think the tuners are not original, they are not kluson and they seem rather cheap. I'll attach a photo.

What is confusing is the headstock decal - I haven't found another like this. It has the "Mosrite of California" decal and then under the decal is "BY MOSELEY". If I can figure out how to post a photo, I'll post one.

Also the serial number on the neck doesn't follow the patterns I've read here - At the 22nd fret there is a small "c", almost like a copyright mark, without the circle around the letter, and then 4 digits - three zeros (000) and then one number.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Gonkulator

Re: Need Help with Headstock of MK1

Postby Gonkulator » Mon May 16, 2022 12:44 pm

It could be a post bankruptcy build. Pictures would help identify it better.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon May 16, 2022 12:50 pm

Welcome to the mysterious world of Mosrite guitars. Lots of confusion with the various markings and accessories used throughout Semie's guitar making career. After his Bakersfield guitar factory folded and he began again building guitars one at a time he tried various methods (and name changes) to stay afloat. You might find the following post informative.

viewtopic.php?t=2054&start=30

Regarding posting photos, the best way is to sign up for a free online image hosting site, copy the URL (address) of the photo and place it in your post and tap the IMG button, then try the preview before hitting submit. A good free image host is http://www.imgur.com You'll have to register. It is reportedly a safe USA site.

Also you might take off the scratch plate and check the dates on the potentiometers. Post the numbers here or type the numbers in Google and you should be able to date them. Not a sure way to date a guitar but it' helps.

I know it doesn't answer you main question but hopefully it's a start.
Danny Ellison

rrmcjeepster

Postby rrmcjeepster » Mon May 16, 2022 5:05 pm

Ok, here is a stab at posting pictures. Thanks for the responses.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon May 16, 2022 5:14 pm

Apparently you didn't get the full URL between the IMG brackets. I'm not registered at Imgur but there should be a code with your photo for posting the photo on an internet forum.
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon May 16, 2022 6:27 pm

Okay, I fixed your photos. I registered to Imgur and see what you did wrong. You didn't copy the right URL. Next time go to Imgur.com and to your photos and bring up the 'Share options'. Scroll down to BBCode (forums) and hit the copy link then hit past here.

BTW, everything appears to be completely original on your guitar. The pot codes should give you a fairly reasonable time frame of manufacture.
Danny Ellison

rrmcjeepster

Postby rrmcjeepster » Mon May 16, 2022 6:34 pm

Ah, ok thank you

t-bone

Postby t-bone » Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 am

hi Jeepster. i have one from that batch of guitars. my guess is very early seventies. i hope that you get strings on and enjoy it. i have seen around the web a few examples from that time. the thicker binding, tuners, by moseley. mine is
c 00024. not sure if he was rebooting the model or using up existing bodies. you have a real beauty there. thanks for sharing
Mosrite Forever

t-bone

Postby t-bone » Tue May 17, 2022 7:26 am

btw it is not a mark I, the small c is for combo. large C’s are for celebrities of that era.
Mosrite Forever

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue May 17, 2022 5:16 pm

rrmcjeepster wrote:Ok, here is a stab at posting pictures. Thanks for the responses.

(pictures removed from quote.)

Wow, that's nice. I agree with t-bone, your guitar is a Mosrite Combo model; a Semi-Hollow Body of that body shape, but with the F holes. It has a sister model in the same exact shape, but without an F hole, and it's made with different body wood. That model is one of the "Joe Maphis I" models, but it's just known as "the Joe Maphis model I."

Judging by the type of tuners, the finish on the headstock, and the fact that it says "BY MOSELEY" under the Mosrite logo? This has to be very early 1970s. I'm not sure exactly when, but I'd judge somewhere in the range of 1970 - 1973, I think it's likely to be 1971 - 1972, but that's still a guess.

See, this is probably an instrument built with parts that were re-bought after the bankruptcy period that started on February 14, 1969. The doors were locked that day, and there was a bankruptcy sale, then Mosrite bought a bunch of parts and were a small operation from then to Semie Moseley's death in 1992.

Could you please post a photo that shows the patent number on the the Moseley tailpiece? I can't see it very well in these photos, and although I've seen a few tailpieces with the patent number, it's a rare day that I do see it.

Is it OK with you if I save your photos and document the serial number for record purposes? Mosrite's official records of all their guitars sold to that point burned in 1983. I just try helping fill in the gaps. I have some serial numbers for the Combo model already, I just haven't posted the list in my own thread yet.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”