Replacement Mosrite Bass Case Handle?

ivan100000

Replacement Mosrite Bass Case Handle?

Postby ivan100000 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:01 pm

Hello--

I have a late '64/early '65 Mosrite bass with the original brown alligator tolex case. The handle has been missing for @30 years, and I'm considering one of those leather handles with the straps that wrap around the existing original in-line brackets on the case. Does anyone have experience with these handles? Are they intended for heavy-duty bass applications? My fear, of course, is that I will be carrying the bass and the leather straps will rip at an inopportune moment. For some irrational reason I'm apprehensive to bring the case to a luggage repair store and have them replace the brackets altogether and install the correct original-style handle. All suggestions/advice welcome. Thanks!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: Replacement Mosrite Bass Case Handle?

Postby Greg_L » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:33 pm

ivan100000 wrote:Hello--

I have a late '64/early '65 Mosrite bass with the original brown alligator tolex case. The handle has been missing for @30 years, and I'm considering one of those leather handles with the straps that wrap around the existing original in-line brackets on the case. Does anyone have experience with these handles? Are they intended for heavy-duty bass applications? My fear, of course, is that I will be carrying the bass and the leather straps will rip at an inopportune moment. For some irrational reason I'm apprehensive to bring the case to a luggage repair store and have them replace the brackets altogether and install the correct original-style handle. All suggestions/advice welcome. Thanks!

I have a 1966 Mosrite Bass case with a replacement handle. It's totally fine.

ivan100000

Postby ivan100000 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:47 pm

Here is my alligator case. Do I need a special tool to remove the rivet-like bit in between each bracket? Looks like the entire bracket won’t need to be removed from the inside in order to replace the handle—or at least I hope—as would be necessary on the black 60s Fender case below it.

https://imgur.com/a/2fH9ezi

ivan100000

Postby ivan100000 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:10 am

and can someone kindly post a photo of their brown alligator case with the correct handle? So long as I'm doing this, I would like to find a handle as close to original as possible. Thank you!

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:21 pm

You will have to remove those pins, and may consider replacing with a threaded tube which will make reassembling the handle an easier task. It is likely those originals were pressed on.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”