new Mosrite tube amp

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: new Mosrite tube amp

Postby dubtrub » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:16 pm

We seem to have two seperate topics going about this same amp, one here and one in to Off Topic section. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1651
Danny Ellison

stevelpj

Postby stevelpj » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Wow! Where do I begin answering Roc?

Rude? Why are you shooting at the messenger? Have you heard the amp we are talking about? I have. I was at the LA Guitar show last weekend and I did. I base my opinion on years of owning/playing some of the great classic amps of all time. I the one who is suffering the rude attacks from a few who haven't even seen or heard this abomination.

Dumble is a crappy player? Wha,,, So what. A great player does not make a great amp designer and vice versa. Let me see these guys build amp that today commands $15K. Why so much? Because everybody wants one. I find Dumble's name frequently used to draw attention to a new amp riding on his credability.

Leo Fender, by the way, for those who like those amps, was never a player either. The History of Fender book explains that Leo annoyed people around the shop because to test an amp, he would strum an open guitar with the back of his finger. They got so tired of that, that they tuned his guitar to a chord. After a while, they got tired of the same chord, so they would have to change the key. Point,,,Leo didn't even know a chord. But he did build amps that are still selling today.

Moserite never did that, and I belive this amp will prove that they never will.

If you don't believe me, read Deke's impression under the expanded title. Maybe you'll believe him.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Whew! I hope everyone has aired their feelings and we can get back to constructive criticism.

Regarding the Mosrite amps never making the big time, I think the timing was just bad for Semie. The Ventures came out with that BG Award amp with the Mosrite logo on it that turned out to be a big flop. The amps that Semie finally got into production that were designed by Ed Sanner, was and still is a great solid state amplifier. They just had a short lifespan with Mosrite going bankrupt on a unrelated (to amp) matter. It's too bad Fillmore Mosrite didn't get Ed to build their new amp. I think they tried but Ed wasn't interested in reproducing or recreating a new amp. Retirement is sometimes more enjoyable.

As for the 'new' Mosrite tube amp, I wish them good luck, but adding the Mosrite name and cosmetics to an amp doesn't make it a Mosrite. I truly believe if Fillmore Mosrite would have had someone duplicate the original Model 200 and 400, and made it available for a decent price they would have a winner. Mosrite aficionados want a reproduction of the real thing. It'd be like adding Mosrite pickups and Vibramute to a Stratocaster, it just isn't a Mosrite. I do not own any solid state amps but I've heard the solid state Gospel amp that Ed built for Semie, it's a great sounding amp. It reminds me of a Fender Showman on punch and clarity.
Danny Ellison

mosritetexas

Postby mosritetexas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:42 pm

Glad to be back home in Texas. The show went very well. Everyone that played the amp in front of me, wile I was there, loved the sound. It got good reviews from Seymour Duncan when he stopped by the booth to buy a new Mosrite. I think it was a 1966. Also R.C.Allen came by and let me play his 57-59 MosRite on the amp. It rocked. Even with the Carvin pickups.The show was busy but all the dealers said "not much sales". I have a few people playing the amp on video but not any WOW players. Every person that talked to me said the sound was great, Except one man said it sounded okay but it wasn't his taste. We won't be selling any for a wile because of our man in Japan needs to see it in October. But his man here in the states loved it. I won't get into a banter here but the idea that the amps looks home made is outrageous. There are photos on the forum just look. Also we went by Front porch music and let Artie play on it . I will let him tell everyone what he thought of it. What a collection of guitars. Our web site won't be advertising the amp for sale yet but I hope to have photos on it for viewing soon.
Thanks to the Mosrite fans, and to the others I just wish you understood the love of the beautiful history. Intangible, but real.
Greg

mosritetexas

Postby mosritetexas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:22 pm

I was only talking about one person. Did not mean to insult the forum.

stevelpj

Postby stevelpj » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Like I was saying about this amp at the show. Look?,,,,nothing special. Sound?,,,nothing special. Price?,,,WHOOOAHH! You have to deliver an amp that really rocks the boat to command those dollars.

The only guy that seems to be singing it's praises is the guy who had a hand in building it! moseritetexas

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:58 am

Like it has been said, everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion.
Veenture wrote:Image

The prototype new Mosrite amp is really looking smart I must say; lots of potential there already.
Good luck to all involved in developing it further and surely turning it into a sucessful amp...in every way. :geek:

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:41 am

The design reminds me of the Reverend HellHound amp.

mosritetexas

Postby mosritetexas » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:54 pm

eitwang
The design reminds me of the Reverend HellHound amp.

I think ours is louder :lol:

stevelpj

Postby stevelpj » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks for the picture. It makes my point. Simple. Square box, no slant, so you can't see the controls when standing right in front of it.

Loud. Maybe. But is an amp about loud or is it about tone? This amp is bland in the tone department.

Still,,,$2500.? Is that faceplate gold plated?

Return to “Mosrite Amps & Accessories”