Fuzzrite: Buyer beware

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Fuzzrite: Buyer beware

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:09 am

Mr. Bill wrote:
Here's a little information that I know concerning Red Rhodes. He was a steel guitar player/amp repairman/builder in the Nashville area. Back in the 70's he opened up shop in the Western suburbs of Chicago and among other things, began building a replacement pick-up line called "The Velvet Hammer". There was a humbucker and a Strat version available and maybe a few more. This only lasted for a few years and these pick-ups are really rare. I had one of the humbuckers back in the day, sorta like a DiMarzio Super Distortion. It was covered in a soft wax. In the Summertime, if your hand got too close and touched it, it would leave a sticky spot.

Bill, where abouts are you in the Summertime? I didn't see where you are from in your profile section.....??
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:56 pm

Sadly, I spend nearly all my time in Chicago. I wish I could spent some of the Winter in a warmer climate like yours.

MQK

Postby MQK » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:01 pm

Hi. I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone out there could help me accurately identify a Mosrite Fuzz rite that I would like to sell. It has Fuzz rite by Mosrite of California on the top. It does not have the unique Mosrite knobs, but black and silver ones. The circuitry is wrapped in masking tape so I can't tell you anything from that. All I can see on the pots is either ER or EF followed by 7803- on one and 78--- on the other. I hope this is helpful. I can't find a serial number. If someone can give me an idea of the age and authenticity I would appreciate it. I don't want to unintentionally mislead anyone and I have no idea of the value. Thanks! MQK.....By the way, this is a very cool forum!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:06 pm

MQK wrote:Hi. I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone out there could help me accurately identify a Mosrite Fuzz rite that I would like to sell. It has Fuzz rite by Mosrite of California on the top. It does not have the unique Mosrite knobs, but black and silver ones. The circuitry is wrapped in masking tape so I can't tell you anything from that. All I can see on the pots is either ER or EF followed by 7803- on one and 78--- on the other. I hope this is helpful. I can't find a serial number. If someone can give me an idea of the age and authenticity I would appreciate it. I don't want to unintentionally mislead anyone and I have no idea of the value. Thanks! MQK.....By the way, this is a very cool forum!
Can you post some photo's both inside and out. That would gives something more tangible to work with.
Danny Ellison

MQK

Postby MQK » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:17 pm

Yes, I have photos, thanks. I just have to figure out how to post them. M

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:54 pm

MQK wrote:Yes, I have photos, thanks. I just have to figure out how to post them. M
Here ya go. :arrow: How to post photo's.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:57 pm

MQK posted:
The circuitry is wrapped in masking tape so I can't tell you anything from that. All I can see on the pots is either ER or EF followed by 7803- on one and 78--- on the other.

That's from 1980 and the "30 something" week. Usually the first 2 of the last 4 digits is the year, and the last 2 digits are the week that the potentiometer was made......
i.e. Let's say the last 4 digits are these.....8032
80=year
32=week

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Yep, late '79, early 80's when they started making them again. Your FUZZrite is at least from 1980,
going by the digits you gave us, 'cause I could not see them in any of the pix.........

MQK

Postby MQK » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. M

Return to “Mosrite Amps & Accessories”