1969 Mosrite GB-1000 amp

LoveyX
Top Producer

Re: 1969 Mosrite GB-1000 amp

Postby LoveyX » Tue May 11, 2010 6:18 pm

heavenbound1,

Thanks for posting the pictures and info on your BG-1000 amp. I am no expert on Mosrite amps, but am curious as to what makes you think it is a 1969 BG-1000? I read in an excerpt from Del Halterman's book these may have been suspended from production in June 1968. Is there a serial number on it?

If it is a 100W amp with those two 15" & horn it must be pretty loud. Have you tried the different channels, inputs, effects on it?

I am thinking if you post the serial # and anymore information you might have from the previous owner it might help those more expert on these amps to speculate on what you have there.

Anyway, thanks again & God bless you!

heavenbound1

Postby heavenbound1 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:44 pm

LoveyX wrote:heavenbound1,

Thanks for posting the pictures and info on your BG-1000 amp. I am no expert on Mosrite amps, but am curious as to what makes you think it is a 1969 BG-1000? I read in an excerpt from Del Halterman's book these may have been suspended from production in June 1968. Is there a serial number on it?

If it is a 100W amp with those two 15" & horn it must be pretty loud. Have you tried the different channels, inputs, effects on it?

I am thinking if you post the serial # and anymore information you might have from the previous owner it might help those more expert on these amps to speculate on what you have there.

I guess I thought they were only made in 1969. I really have no idea about it... nor do I see a serial number anywhere. We plugged it in only for a minute to be sure it worked. Not sure if we tried all the circuits and effects or not.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 11, 2010 8:55 pm

heavenbound1 wrote:We plugged it in only for a minute to be sure it worked. Not sure if we tried all the circuits and effects or not.

If you plugged it in and verified it works, no need to stop there unless something is burning. Once you flipped the switch it has now had the sudden jolt of voltage to the capacitors and transformers that would be damaged. Bringing voltage up slowly with a variac on old dried out electrolytic is the best way to prevent damage. At this point you may as well give it a workout to see what all it has to offer.

Watch for smoke and listen for a frying sound. ;)
Danny Ellison

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:00 pm

dubtrub wrote:
heavenbound1 wrote:We plugged it in only for a minute to be sure it worked. Not sure if we tried all the circuits and effects or not.

If you plugged it in and verified it works, no need to stop there unless something is burning. Once you flipped the switch it has now had the sudden jolt of voltage to the capacitors and transformers that would be damaged. Bringing voltage up slowly with a variac on old dried out electrolytic is the best way to prevent damage. At this point you may as well give it a workout to see what all it has to offer.

Watch for smoke and listen for a frying sound. ;)

If you hear bacon....turn it off! :mrgreen:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Tue May 11, 2010 11:53 pm

That frying sound is the fuzzrite! ha!

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Wed May 12, 2010 4:49 am

Just noticed the strip of grill cloth at the bottom in the first pic - that was some colorful stuff - I like it!
So many guitars; So little time ..

heavenbound1

Postby heavenbound1 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:24 pm

Anybody got an idea what this amp is worth?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri May 14, 2010 5:44 pm

heavenbound1 wrote:Anybody got an idea what this amp is worth?

I doubt you'll get any forum members volunteering a dollar amount as that is only an individuals assessment. However, in the few short years I've been following Mosrite and related items, I haven't found there to be much interest in these types of amps. This was one that the Ventures farmed out to an outside source to be manufactured and it was plagued with problems. The amps that were actually built by the Mosrite factory in Bakersfield are a desirable collector piece but they too are only desired by a very small community. Example, although the amp in this eBay link is of a different variety, it has been for sale for a very long time with no takers. But of course all it takes is one with the cash and the desire.

:arrow: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mosrite-450-Guitar- ... 2c511d5a2a

Also if you haven't already done so, you might want to check out this topic.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=356
Danny Ellison

heavenbound1

Postby heavenbound1 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:28 am

LoveyX wrote:heavenbound1,

OK... I Plugged a guitar into this amp and played it for a half hour. It is unbelievable! I could not turn it up too loud or I would have blasted everyone out of the house. The reverb is just awesome! The amp is extremely powerful! I could not get the bass inputs nor the tremlo vibrato to work. I am convinced it is something simple but I know very little about these amps or any amps. It may just be the foot switch or something. I have listed the amp on ebay. It will be pretty easy to find if you want to see it.
Oh... yes... the fuzzrite works! Very interesting sound!!

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sun May 23, 2010 10:13 pm

heavenbound1 wrote:Anybody got an idea what this amp is worth?

Looks like you answered your own question: $1995.

Return to “Mosrite Amps & Accessories”