Mosrite amps

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Mosrite amps

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:54 pm

Nokie wrote:
The working stock of 10 BG-1000's and 12 BG-500's and so many parts was purchased by Stan Clothier, an electronics dealer in Minneapolis. He sold 'em off

Now, is this the same Stan Clothier, or a company he started later?
http://www.stanclothier.com?
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

jnslobaugh
Top Producer

Postby jnslobaugh » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:53 pm

arpsum wrote:Those amps loanched above were designed by Ed Sanner and built by Mosrite in 1967.
For your reference, Ed designed and built the piggy back amps for The Ventures in 1966. Although they were played with at Japan tour in 1966, they didn't satisfy with the poor sound for a stage. I'll attach the image at that time. According to Ed, these were not solid state but tube.

SO DO WE KNOW WHO BUILT THE PIGGYBACK HEAD IN HTIS PHOTO? ED OR DUMBLE?
JEFFREY S. LOBAUGH

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:13 pm

From the story related by Del Halterman in the Ventures book, the Ventures first took their American made Fender amps on tour in 1965 but due to the lower voltage of 100 volts as opposed to the USA 110-115 volts, the Fender amps farted out at higher volumes which resulted in the use of Guyatone amps for future concerts. Maybe these are not Mosrite amps in the photo but Guyatone. :? The Mosrite Award amps they used were the large combo units not piggybacks. The only piggyback amps allegedly used on Japanese tours were Guyatones.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:03 pm

dubtrub wrote:From the story related by Del Halterman in the Ventures book, the Ventures first took their American made Fender amps on tour in 1965 but due to the lower voltage of 100 volts as opposed to the USA 110-115 volts, the Fender amps farted out at higher volumes which resulted in the use of Guyatone amps for future concerts. Maybe these are not Mosrite amps in the photo but Guyatone. :? The Mosrite Award amps they used were the large combo units not piggybacks. The only piggyback amps allegedly used on Japanese tours were Guyatones.

Dubtrub wrote:
Maybe these are not Mosrite amps in the photo but Guyatone. :? The Mosrite Award amps they used were the large combo units not piggybacks.

OK, then I'm having trouble understanding this '66 Photo, which is starting
to get confusing to me......... :shock:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:09 pm

Beats me. :shock:

Is that photo form a USA or Japan concert? Looks like the same guitars, clothing..........and amps.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 pm

dubtrub wrote:Beats me. :shock:

Is that photo form a USA or Japan concert? Looks like the same guitars, clothing..........and amps.

Danny, GOOD POINT! The only difference I see is the Stage Background where the Blow Up Pix
show "The Ventures" name behind them, and the other difference is they are using white guitar
cables which I think was the style back then??? :roll: And then the last....which I can't blow up the pic,
but it looks as though Bob is playing a 2 P'up C.A.R. Bass, not a One P'up.....??? :roll:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:40 pm

On pg 120 of Del Halterman's Ventures book, there's a picture with what looks to be the same amp in the background. I didn't notice it at first because the image is reversed with everyone playing lefty. I won't have time to scan the picture for a while, but maybe someone can?

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:01 am

In the Halterman book there are three different photos that seems to show the piggyback amp in question.

As Mel pointed out, on page 120 shows one of these amps, as well as what appears to be an early version of the Encor amp.

Page 142 shows two of these amps in use, in a photo that is dated October 1966.

And page 170 shows what is the most interesting shot of one amp with what appears to be the same curved top detail as on the amp that we've been discussing.

I wish that the repro on these photos was better.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:53 pm

You know?, after reading and RE-reading these posts, I think I've come to a conclusion, that it did not matter how successful Mosrite was, because Semie was doomed no matter how you look at this, way beyond his control. With a couple of the Ventures being the "Worldwide Soul Distributor of Mosrite," and being money hungry to hurry up and put an amp on the market, it just did not matter. When Award refused to correct the problems with the Amps, The Ventures were shut down. Along with them, went Mosrite. It just didn't matter........ :roll:

jnslobaugh
Top Producer

Postby jnslobaugh » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:50 am

OF COURSE IM STILL TRYING TO COME TO A BUILDER CONCLUSION WONDERING IF THIS IS THE ONE THAT HOWARD DUMBLE BUILT. I REALLY DIG HOW THE SPEAKER CABINET MATCHES THE SLIGHT ANGLE ON THE HEAD. I'LL POST SOME INTERESTING FINDINGS THAT ARE PENCILES ON THE BACK OF MY MOSRITE HEAD WITH THE NAMES "DON, AND WHATS LEFT OF NOKIES" NAME WRITTEN ON THE BACK OF MY HEAD.

UNTIL LATER THANK YOU GENTS....
JEFFREY S. LOBAUGH

Return to “Mosrite Amps & Accessories”