MOSRITE TUBE HEAD SER# 00007 (DUMBLE'S MOSRITE?)

Dennisthe Menace

Re: MOSRITE TUBE HEAD SER# 00007 (DUMBLE'S MOSRITE?)

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:32 pm

Yeah, but Howie has the "plus 1" Amp. Another words, number 11 :shock: . Yes, there were 11 of them made, the 11th, he kept for himself...... :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

jnslobaugh
Top Producer

Postby jnslobaugh » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:01 pm

:idea: I TRULY BELIEVE THIS IS # 7 OF THE 11.
IT'S NOW A QUESTION OF DOCUMENTING THE MISSING LINK. :?:

WE'LL SEE IN TIME... I JUST HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER
DECADE FOR THE TRUTH. :!:
JEFFREY S. LOBAUGH

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:16 pm

JSL writes:
I'LL UPDATE MY PROFILE WITH A LITTLE MORE DETAIL AT SOME POINT AS WELL BUT I KNOW YOU REALLY DON'T GIVE A HOOT ABOUT THAT.....
! IT'S REALLY ABOUT THE MOSRITE'S !

.....uhm....it's about this family and Community here too.....
So, git yer' butt over to yer' profile and update it :o
You have 5 minutes.....uhm ...starting now..... :mrgreen: ;)

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:18 am

This is one cool Mosrite Amp!! I have a prototype Mosrite solid state that is serial #002. I spoke to Ed Sanner years ago about it and he was suprised to know it still exists and functions. It has reverb but no Fuzzrite or tremelo. Ed told me a lot about Mosrite amps and the history. The tall knobs were always intended for the Mosrite electronics division as it didn't make sense to have the short knobs with the V and T on them. They were used on guitars in the '70;s because Semie didn't have money to make new short knobs, so he got them from Ed to use on guitars. The earliest Fuzzrites have the short knobs. I'll have to find my notes as it has been years since I spoke to Ed. He built my prototype and the Ventures liked it, but wanted something bigger. Ed told me the time frame to produce amps for the Ventures was unrealistically short, so they got Dumble involved and the Ventures involved a company that I believe made TV consoles and stereo/radio consoles to manufacture the Award amps. That is why there are the Ed Sanner/Mosrite electronic amps as well as the Award series with the Mosrite name. Ed related that the speaker mounting screws were backwards in the Award amps and when they arrived, many of the speakers had fallen to the bottom of the cabinet and needed repair before they could be sold. Somewhere I have the name of the manufacturer, but I need to locate it. Ed moved ahead with the Mosrite electronics amps and the Ventures moved on with the Award amps. Unfortunately, the amps suffered from a bad reputation, I believe, primarily due to the award amps.

The rest is history.
Mosriteforever

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:59 am

WoW!! Show us some pics!!! :mrgreen:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:03 am

mosriteforever wrote: Somewhere I have the name of the manufacturer, but I need to locate it.

The name of the manufacture of the Award amplifiers was Waters-Connelly, who's primary field was home entertainment products. They were located in Rochester, Minnesota.
Danny Ellison

arpsum

Postby arpsum » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:15 pm

Mosriteforever, you also have a rare item. Please let me see the pix of the prototype. I have two question about Mosrite amps built by Semie and Ed. At first, taking their ability for mass production into consideration, they seemed to ask another manufacturer to make amps instead of them. Who built them at that time? This is only my guess, ROSAC seemed to be in charge of production. Because Ed left Mosrite for ROSAC late in 1960's. The other question, are there any period Ed and Howard worked together? According to the interview to Howard at Vintage Guitar, he contacted directly to Semie when he was 18 years old.

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Hello All,
I just looked at my amp and forgot it does have tremelo. It has a straight channel and a tremelo channel. Also, I concur that Waters Connally was the Award Amp manufacturer. Arpsum, I do not believe Ed and Dumble ever worked together as I do remember asking Ed about this and I believe his response was no. I never thought to ask about the production of Mosrite amps, but it makes sense that they would farm out the manufacture to someone like Rosac, and Ed did indeed work for them. If you have seen the inside of the Rosac Wah-Fuzz, it has the same encapsulated circuit as the later Silicon Fuzzrites so this makes sense. I also have the Mosrite Ventures oil can reverb/echo unit prototype, which was made by Tel Ray for Mosrite so it makes sense they would have farmed out the manufacture of amps, as Ed couldn't do it all himself. I don't have a site to upload and link pictures, but maybe I could e-mail some to someone in the group who does. I also know where a very large Mosrite amp head is that has a big logo that Ed Sanner put Mattel on as the toy manufacturer was giving Mosrite problems with the M gear logo being to similar to theirs. It is solid state and was a Bass head, but my understanding is that Mark Moseley used to use it as a PA head.

Mosriteforever!

arpsum

Postby arpsum » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:28 pm

mosriteforever, it is so interesting. According to that interview, Howard just made a 10 tube amps for Semie as a temporary contract. There were no description about working at Mosrite. Besides, Ed seemed to be especially good at solid state circuit. Indeed, Mosrite amps (MODEL-XXX) are all built with solid state circuit. I don't think Howard were concerned with this project. And the reason why ROSAC seemed to be in charge of the product, I have 2 ROSAC amps, I found the way of cutting and assembling about front panel is similar between both of them. As far as I recognize, ROSAC also located in Bakersfield at that time.

Wow, you have a Mosrite oil can delay! That's what I've been looking for!

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:45 pm

Arpsum, I did not know Rosac made amplifiers. I would love to see pictures of that. As we discussed, it makes perfect sense that Mosrite would have farmed out amplifier production to someone, and Rosac makes perfect sense.

Mosriteforever!

Return to “Mosrite Amps & Accessories”