The history of Mosrite amplifiers: part 2

dubtrub
Administrator

The history of Mosrite amplifiers: part 2

Postby dubtrub » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:33 pm

Due to the increase in activity, interest, questions and information being exchanged here on the forum about Mosrite amps, I have made this a seperate topic in an effort to not distort of confuse the original topic, History of Mosrite Amplifiers .
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Re: History of Mosrite Amplifiers

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:36 pm

Very Nice Danny,
If I may also add:
The problem turned out to be a major design flaw as the original prototype design had been altered without the Ventures knowledge.

When we were up in Jonas Ridge back in '88, Semie had also told us that AWARD Amp had a design flaw in it as well. However, he also mentioned that the design flaw was only in the smaller model (BG 500). I believe that Tom Wheeler, author of "AMERICAN GUITARS" makes mention of it when he interviewed Semie (late 70s). ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:56 pm

There was also a mention of the amps in the "lost" interviews with Semie that were published in Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Here's what Semie had to say about the Mosrite Amplifiers in the Feb. 2007 issue of Vintage Guitar:

Semie was asked if Standel ever built amps for him. He answered no they didn't, but then proceeded to discuss the Award amps. He called the amps, "the downfall of the Ventures".

He said that he recieved $5,000 for the rights to use the Ventures name on the amps.

He also stated that the prototype was great, but the 1,000 amps that they had Waters Connelly make had a design flaw in the tremolo circuit that caused them to short out. He said that the dealer demand for an amp was high, but when Waters Connelly wouldn't make good on the bad amps, the Ventures were stuck with the problem.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 pm

Mr. Bill wrote:
He said that he recieved $5,000 for the rights to use the Ventures name on the amps.

Bill,
In the Interview with Tom Wheeler in AMERICAN GUITARS, Semie had mentioned he had received a $5,000 check for the rights to use the MOSRITE name on the amps, not "the Ventures" name. I'm confused.....?? :?

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:02 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:I'm confused.....?? :?

So am I, and maybe so was Semie!

Here's the quote from the article:
(Smart asks Moseley if Standel ever built amps for him.)

"No they didn't. That was the downfall of the Ventures. They gave me five grand for the rights to put the Ventures name on an amplifier. They showed me the prototype, and it was great. Then they went to Waters Connelly and had them make a thousand amplifiers - and not one amp was any good. They had a light circuit, it was a tremolo, and it shorted the amp out. And that was what put them in the hole."

Is it possible that in the Mosrite-Ventures contract, that Semie had the rights to the Ventures name on all forms of musical equipment? Maybe they had originally planned to make amps together and had included that in the original agreement.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:16 am

Yeah, I guess it is possible, however in Del's Book about the Ventures, it too mentioned basically the same thing that Tom Wheeler had mentioned in his "American Guitars" Book.....
Dubtrub wrote:
Due to the increase in activity, interest, questions and information being exchanged here on the forum about Mosrite amps, I thought I would draft a short history from information detailed in the book, The Story of the Ventures, by Del Halterman. There is no doubt a lot more information out there, but I thought my condensed version would provide a little insight and stimulate further interest and hopefully more information will surface.

A Short Story of Mosrite Amplifiers:

The story of the Mosrite amplifier actually consists of two separately manufactured amplifiers being built by two separate companies both bearing the Mosrite name. It’s lineage can be traced to the efforts of Bob Bogle. At that time the Mosrite Distributing company was owned by the Ventures and directed by business manager Stan Wagner.

The Ventures proposed the idea for Mosrite to build amplifiers, however Semie wasn’t able to design and produce an amplifier on a large scale in a timely manner. Bogle, having already severed ties with Mosrite Distrubing Company, went in search of a builder and designer to produce his own brand amplifier and located a small electronics company in Conoga Park, a suburb of Los Angeles, CA. This business was operated by an individual identified as George Faith. An agreement was made between Bogle and Faith and the name of the amp was to be called the Encore. As a side note, during this process Bogle had designed a swept wing guitar, which was never produced by Bogle, however, it’s design was later (unofficially) adopted and manufactured by Bob Hall to become the Hallmark swept wing guitar.

After taking numerous orders and deposits from music stores all around the country, the Encor amp business disintegrated when Faith absconded with the funds and folded the business before production ever started.

Mosrite guitars were selling very well and the seed was already planted for a new Ventures model Encor amp. Inquiries were constantly coming in to Mosrite Distributing Co. anticipating the new amp. Stan Wagner saw the great demand and was very interested in adding a Ventures model amp. Bogle again began looking for another manufacture to build amplifiers to accompany the Ventures model Mosrite guitar.

An electronics engineer (name unknown) was found in Los Angeles, and he designed and built a prototype amplifier. Stan Wagner took the prototype to JB Lansing Company in an effort to have them build the amp in mass quantity, but they were not interested.

Bogle located the company Waters-Connelly of Rochester, Minnesota, manufactures of home entertainment products, who were contracted to build the amps. Although the contract was for a Ventures model amplifier, Waters-Connelly insisted on putting their own brand name Award, as well as the Ventures Model nomenclature. Promotion for the Award amplifier commenced at the end of 1966 with production to follow later.

Stan Wagner, operating as Mosrite Distributing Co. obtained a $500,000 loan to cover production cost. In addition he contacted Semie, as he felt that having the name Mosrite on their new Award Ventures model amp would enhance sales even more. An agreement was made and for a flat fee of $5000, Semie gave them permission to use both the Mosrite and Fuzzrite name. However, it would be another year before the amp was available to the public.

.....ooooooh boy.............. I'm confused......
...and I'm also a little suspicious about "lost articles"
from an author I never heard of from Vintage Guitars.....
Someone straighten me out here............. :roll:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:41 am

Obviously there is a an error in the interview with Smart regarding the Standell discussion. There should be no confusion. Neither article in Wheeler's or Halterman's book say's Semie received $5000 and gave 'anyone' the right to use the VENTURES name on those amps. Heck, 'they were' the Ventures and sure didn't need Semie's permission to use their own name. Semie never owned the rights to the Ventures name. What the articles do say, Semie gave the Ventures the right to use the MOSRITE name and FUZZRITE name on the Ventures new Award amplifier.

Check out Wheeler's book, page 281, in an interview between Tom Wheeler and Semie Moseley, April 1980, it say's quote, "The Ventures had someone design an amplifier and they asked me to come down and take a look at it. The one I saw was really good. The Ventures gave me a $5000 check and I gave them the right to put Mosrite's names on the Mosrite Award amplifier."
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:44 am

;) Thanks Danny,
I just came back to the 'puter with the book, but ya beat me to it!!
BTW, has anyone heard of this Smart guy?? I'm wandering if he didn't
mix it up (Smart himself) after the interview with Semie, which might
make sense, ESPECIALLY if Smart wasn't familiar with the Mosrite History.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:00 am

According to the articles, these were written from transcripts of a tape recorded interview with Semie done on June 19, 1981, in California.

William J. Smart, the interviewer contacted Semie through Gene Moles and Andy Moseley.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:17 am

Mr. Bill wrote:According to the articles, these were written from transcripts of a tape recorded interview with Semie done on June 19, 1981, in California.

William J. Smart, the interviewer contacted Semie through Gene Moles and Andy Moseley.

That's very intresting info there Bill. Well, I guess with all the "ups and downs" that Semie was
starting to go through, it's very possible Semie himself, got it confused.....

Return to “Mosrite Amps & Accessories”