clone comparison

64sunburst
Top Producer

Re: clone comparison

Postby 64sunburst » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:49 am

I have an Eastwood Sidejack and a Japanese Mosrite. If you want a Mosrite clone, go with the Hallmark. I like the Eastwood for what it is, but it ain't no Mosrite.

Byron

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:24 pm

'Scored a Dillion VMD-75 Vietnam-made, 2 1/2 years ago for $300 (see separate thread inquiring on nameplate).

After about $115 to Third Coast Guitar, Chicago, for serious, serious, serious setup and fret bloom and leveling issues, it is a danged nice guitar.

Sound is more of a P-90 SG than a real Mosrite tho and vibrato is a Bigsby clone. Seymour Duncan offered to rewind the pups to near Mosrite for $75 each, so there are options.

Best of fortune.

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:34 pm

I have owned Dillions, Wilson Brothers, Hallmarks and The Holy Grail....1965 Mosrite Ventures, 1983 Mosrite Ventures '63 RI, 1991 Mosrite MI Ventures '65 RI. Once I got my hands on The Hallmark 60 Custom, the Dillion and Wilsons went the way of ebay :!: The Hallmark is the closest to my Mosrites I've found and it's under a Grand :!: :!: You just can't beat the quality, tone, playability, functionality and cosmetics at the price Bob Shade can offer. :D try a Hallmark, you won't be disapointed :!: :ugeek:
Click on logo to visit website

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Does the Hallmark have any "extra legitimacy" to being the blood-cousin of a real Mosrite because of Bob Hall and his associates?

gplayer
Top Producer

Postby gplayer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:42 pm

Haole Jim wrote:Does the Hallmark have any "extra legitimacy" to being the blood-cousin of a real Mosrite because of Bob Hall and his associates?

I don't know about legitimacy...but it's the closest I've found, for under 1G.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:52 pm

Thank you. 'Am really close to putting the Dillion from Vietnam on consignment in a local shop and ordering a Hallmark C60.

Is that sunset paint job green? 'Been wanting a green guitar.

Thank you

midwestsurfer

Postby midwestsurfer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:04 pm

Haole Jim wrote:Thank you. 'Am really close to putting the Dillion from Vietnam on consignment in a local shop and ordering a Hallmark C60.

Is that sunset paint job green? 'Been wanting a green guitar.

Thank you

The sunset sparkle finish is indeed green, but Mr. Shade informed me in July that he's currently out of that one (as well as ink blue). If you hear different let me know - I really wanted a 60 Custom in that finish too!
Nick

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:01 am

BTT....................................

For folks that are wanting to discuss comparing the various clones guitars on the Front Porch thread and as suggested in a couple other posts, here's a topic already started specifically for comparing clones.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”