Wilson Brothers Guitars

Sixstringer

Re: Wilson Brothers Guitars

Postby Sixstringer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:19 pm

Craig, thanks for the info. I will be looking to put something else in there soon.
1965 Mosrite Ventures II
1971 Mosrite Mark 1
A whole bunch of other stuff
http://www.myspace.com/guitarjunkiejeff

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:38 pm

Hey folks, thanks gobs for the comments on Wilsion Bros instruments and recommendations.

Based on the inexpensive prices, guess is, they come from the orient?

'Have not yet seen one in the metro Chicago area.

CraigSkelly

Postby CraigSkelly » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:23 am

According to Tim Wilson, Don's son, the lower-end models, VM-10 are made in China, the middle level VM-65 and VM-75's are made in Korea and the signature models are made in Japan.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:56 am

I used to have a VCM-2003, Candy Apple Red, made in Japan. Great-playing guitar--it had a bigger neck than a Mosrite, and it had the best-sounding P-90 pickups I've ever heard. Finish and fret work were top-notch. Unfortunately, the Jazzmaster bridge and tremolo were so problematic that I had to send it back. Everybody at the company that I dealt with, from Don Wilson on down, were great to work with, and I really hated to send the thing back. They actually sent me another one, and it had the same problem--lack of string angle at the bridge, causing the strings to slide around and jump out of their slots--and the tailpiece was too close to the bridge, so there was no room to install a Buzz-Stop, which would have fixed the problem. I told them that if they ever made one with a Mosrite-style trem (Don Wilson has one, but I guess it's the only one), I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Before the Wilson Brothers models there were Aria models which are essentially the same. The VM2001 (sunburst in the picture below) has a more vibramute like vibrato - is this possibly what Don has?

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:22 pm

jfine wrote:I used to have a VCM-2003, Candy Apple Red, made in Japan. Great-playing guitar--it had a bigger neck than a Mosrite, and it had the best-sounding P-90 pickups I've ever heard. Finish and fret work were top-notch. Unfortunately, the Jazzmaster bridge and tremolo were so problematic that I had to send it back. Everybody at the company that I dealt with, from Don Wilson on down, were great to work with, and I really hated to send the thing back. They actually sent me another one, and it had the same problem--lack of string angle at the bridge, causing the strings to slide around and jump out of their slots--and the tailpiece was too close to the bridge, so there was no room to install a Buzz-Stop, which would have fixed the problem. I told them that if they ever made one with a Mosrite-style trem (Don Wilson has one, but I guess it's the only one), I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

I agree that VCM 2001 with the original tailpiece / bridge is the best one. Many owners of older VCM2002 and VCM2003 (without binding) which were installed with a Jazzmaster type tailpiece / bridge seem to have the same problem you had. Wilson Brothers only carry VCM 2002 and VCM 2003 on they website. They are custom order only. I don't know whether this problem have been fixed or not. You can call Tim Wilson (Don's son, a great guy) to find out.

Just came back from Japan and had a brief visit at Yokohama Guitar Show. Aria only displayed VCM 2001 but not the VCM 2002/3. With weak US dollar (87:1 when I was there), it is not a good time to buy Japan made guitars.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:10 am

That's a great pic! The VCM2001 is what I was trying to get, but they couldn't get me one. I saw a pic of Don W. with one and assumed it was a one-off, but I guess there are more.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:23 am

jfine wrote:That's a great pic! The VCM2001 is what I was trying to get, but they couldn't get me one. I saw a pic of Don W. with one and assumed it was a one-off, but I guess there are more.

Check eBay. Once in a while there may be one for sales. I have waited for 2 years and finally got one a few months ago on eBay with great price. Quality is impeccable.

There was a blue VCM2003 for sale last month on eBay

VCM2001 is the one to get. Getting directly from Aria is possible but the price is way too high with the weak US Dollar nowadays.

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:38 pm

I owned a VM-65, VM-75,VM-110. Once I got my Hallmark 60 Custom I sold them. Great for a budget, Mosrite Inspired Axe. For under a grand it's hard to beat the Hallmark. I also own Three Mosrites, 1965 Ventures, 1983 Ventures, 1991 Ventures so I know the real deal and what comes close. Mosrite Forever!!!!! :D
Click on logo to visit website

CraigSkelly

Postby CraigSkelly » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 pm

I wonder how the Aria models compare to the Hallmark 60 custom since they are in the same price range?

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”