Fillmore Mosrites @ Front Porch

mosriteforever

Re: Fillmore Mosrites @ Front Porch

Postby mosriteforever » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 am

[

I hope that Fillmore will release a 'vintage correct' mkII model with all the original specs.
Like what fender did with the Mustang[/quote]

Actually, the Hallmark Sheena and Road to ruin are the only vintage correct reissue of the style guitar Johnny Ramone made famous. It has the proper single coil pickups and hardware that Johnny used to craft the 1st 4 classic LP's. When Johnny's pickups fried and he couldn't get more originals, he modified the guitar and that is what the other reissues are based on. It did change the sound on the later recordings though.

Mosriteforever!!

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:37 am

mosriteforever wrote:[

I hope that Fillmore will release a 'vintage correct' mkII model with all the original specs.
Like what fender did with the Mustang

Actually, the Hallmark Sheena and Road to ruin are the only vintage correct reissue of the style guitar Johnny Ramone made famous. It has the proper single coil pickups and hardware that Johnny used to craft the 1st 4 classic LP's. When Johnny's pickups fried and he couldn't get more originals, he modified the guitar and that is what the other reissues are based on. It did change the sound on the later recordings though.

Mosriteforever!![/quote]

Its not exact, tho. I have a Sheena model & I love it. The neck is thicker & the frets are bigger. Other than that, it's spot on.

& not for nuthin' but I'm pretty sure Fillmore has released the MK II as originally released. Artie at Front Porch has them. Ot had them at least. Check out the Mosrite catalog on the Front Porch website.
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:42 am

Fillmore did made a few Mark IIs in style of the original. They're not quite on target but at least they don't have Strat style pickups. JohnnySonic has one, Here's a link.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2440&hilit=tuning

From what I heard they didn't sell well enough so they were pulled from the market.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Elliot Easton

Postby Elliot Easton » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:29 pm

sleeperNY wrote:"To each his own, but if Semie didn't have a hand in it's production, IT'S NOT A MOSRITE"

Jim

Wow, so did Leo Fender and Orville Gibson build your Fenders and Gibsons? :lol: :lol: :lol:
A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:01 am

sleeperNY wrote:"To each his own, but if Semie didn't have a hand in it's production, IT'S NOT A MOSRITE"

If we use this as to why the new production models aren't real Mosrites then almost every other major brand are also just copy's of the originals also.They have all changed hands, been made in other locations and countries and some have come back to the original family. If and when there is a clear owner of the Mosrite name I would have no problem calling them original Mosrites.

Jim

Now Elliot, if you are going to quote me please use the entire quote.If you look close you will see that I was quoting someone else with that line. My position is what followed that quote.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 am

Gee, we've never had the conversation on this site.

This argument really comes down to opinion. Both are right in a way & both wrong. My opinion is that the Fillmore Mosrite's are certainly real Mosrite's. I own 2 of them & they play, sound, etc just like the originals & Fillmore are the rightful owners of the copyright & name.

Now....are the VINTAGE Mosrite's? Of course not. I don't think anyone on this site would confuse that. There is a clear distinction between the vintage & modern Mosrites.

I'm not a Fender guy, but I bet there is a big distinction between a Jap or Mexican Fender & a real, vintage Fender. They're still all fenders, just different quality, history, etc.

It's sort of a dumb argument, really.
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

Elliot Easton

Postby Elliot Easton » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:45 pm

GTSP wrote:Gee, we've never had the conversation on this site.

My opinion is that the Fillmore Mosrite's are certainly real Mosrite's. I own 2 of them & they play, sound, etc just like the originals & Fillmore are the rightful owners of the copyright & name.

Now....are the VINTAGE Mosrite's? Of course not.

My feeling exactly, even down to owning 2 Fillmore Mosries. Sorry Sleeper if I misread your post.
A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 pm

It's all good Elliot. For what it's worth I agree with you.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:07 pm

GTSP wrote:
mosriteforever wrote:[

Like what fender did with the Mustang

It did change the sound on the later recordings though.

Mosriteforever!!

& not for nuthin' but I'm pretty sure Fillmore has released the MK II as originally released. Artie at Front Porch has them. Ot had them at least. Check out the Mosrite catalog on the Front Porch website.[/quote]

The MkII that Filmore sold has different pickups, like the later MarkV/VenturesII, along with a Moseley tailpiece, at least in the photos shown.

Johnny also was using different amps, a JCM800 and different cabinets that did not have Greenback speakers, which probably made a bigger difference in his sound on later records. Their equipment was stolen a couple times. But he always sounded like Johnny Ramone.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

bakeoboy
Top Producer

Postby bakeoboy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Oh Yea! Front Porch Music still has all Mosrite models from Fillmore in stock,and the new CJ Ramone basses Also coming soon a new Ramones model with 3 strat pickups,5 way switch,and a short Vibramute.
and I say Fillmore Mosrites are the real Mosrites,with the assembly done by Dana Moseley right here in Bakersfield!

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”