TNM Custom clone Mosrite double neck guitars

dubtrub
Administrator

TNM Custom clone Mosrite double neck guitars

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Recently I've been in contact with people while promoting the forum talking about Mosrite guitars and their availability. Most are familiar that there a reproductions be imported from overseas, but are totally unaware that there are premium quality guitars being reproduced right here in the USA by top quality as well as amateur luthiers. I've invited them to visit the forum but one maker seems to be lost in all the posts and his craftsmanship isn't readily seen. So, I've decided to make a 'sticky' post dedicated to Terry McArthur's custom built guitars so that our forum members and guest can easily find them. I have learned that many people will not click on a link to follow it to it's source of information, so, I will rob a photo's off the internet to get this topic in the forefront.

Terry, I hope you don't mind.

Click on photo to visit his website.

Danny Ellison

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Re: TNM Custom clone Mosrite double neck guitars

Postby TerryTNM » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks a lot Danny. This is unexpected.

I know that most people that visit your site are interested in the later model Mosrite's that were made after 1960. I'm afraid I'm quite ignorant when it comes to these models. Actually, I've never owned a Mosrite. Couldn't afford my dream guitar, The Joe Maphis Mosrite Special. When I first met Semie in 1957 I just had to ask; how much would one cost. The answer was $1200.00. About twice the price of a Gibson Super 400 at the time. So my only option was to make one.

I enjoy reading the threads and adding a comment on occasion. Giving a tip or posting a procedure is a pleasure. Watching Ed build his clones is especially neat and seeing what other members and yourself have built is a treat as well.

At present I'm finishing another "Maphis" doublneck and building two more prototype single neck models to debut at the 2010 Deke Fest. Ed's making me the pickups for one of them now. Here's a link to a Photoshop mock-up of one of them:http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/TNM_Guitars/The%20Town%20Hall/Corral1.htm Kind of a play on the Gretsch Roundup.

Again, thank you Danny.

-Terry

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Terry' I was just at your sight yesterday and loved it. Your guitars are a thing of beauty and if I had the money I would buy one in a hart beat.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:13 pm

Terry,

While the forum doesn't indicate it, I've been in contact via email and landline with several folks, some are 'Gospel pickers' from the old day's that are very interested in the earlier era of Semie's history prior to the P Street factory years. I know many of our forum members and topics post date the early beginning's and can more closely relate to the Mosrite of the Ramones/Ventures. However, there are an equal amount of visitors to this forum that only read here and never join. That is understandable as many feel they do not fit in with the younger generation that are more comfortable posting on a public forum. One such person is Doug Brewer with whom I've had recent contact . He is the owner of a double neck built by Semie in 1959, where he helped in the preparation of it's construction. Doug has a wealth of early Mosrite years information and remained in contact for most of Semie's career. Hopefully he will see this and join in on the discussions and offer some of his personal knowledge.

So, obviously your guitars and insight have more of a bearing than you will ever know. Feel free to add photo's of your guitars to this topic and give us all something to admire and appreciate.
Danny Ellison

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:33 am

I have admired Terry's artistry for some time now. The step by step photos are fantastic.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:16 am

I wasn't that familiar with 50s Mosrites prior to joining this forum, but I have a much greater appreciation for the guitars and the players now. And having seen Terry's guitars in person at the last Deke fest I can say they are as well made as any guitar I've held in my hands.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Wow!

That is a wonderful Web site, Terry. It's going to take me some time to go through it all.

Lovely guitars, too! Thanks for the link to it, Danny!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Postby TerryTNM » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks to all of you that have visited my site. I really appreciate it.

In July, Mike Brown picked up his new TNM. This is the first one that I installed a Bigsby B5 with a Chet arm.
It also features the original inline 6 headcaps that first appeared in 1954 on Joe Maphis' original doubleneck
which can be seen in some of the YouTube Joe Maphis/ Town Hall Party vids.
More pictures:
http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/TNM_Guitars/Mike%20Brown/sn011_mike_brown5.htm

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:58 pm

That Bigsby is a very nice touch to an already beautiful piece. Great job, Terry!
So many guitars; So little time ..

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Terry, you are not just a great guitar builder, you're an absolute artist.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”