TNM Custom clone Mosrite double neck guitars

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: TNM Custom clone Mosrite double neck guitars

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Wow Terry, another amazing instrument!!!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Hey, Mosritians--

It seems to me that we need a word to signify an instrument that, while using a Semie Moseley creation as its point of departure, takes it to another level of craftsmanship or quality.

In this regard, I look at, as an analogy, what some luthiers such as Collings, Hoover, and others do regarding older Martin guitars. I look at the Santa Cruz, Collings, and others as being the best Martins that never saw the inside of the plant at Nazareth.

So these TNM guitars and some others may fall into that category, whatever we choose to call it. A Super-Mosrite or something along those lines.

Does that make any sense?

Not putting down Semie Moseley's work in any way by suggesting this.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:18 pm

JimPage wrote:It seems to me that we need a word to signify an instrument that, while using a Semie Moseley creation as its point of departure, takes it to another level of craftsmanship or quality...//...whatever we choose to call it. A Super-Mosrite or something along those lines....//...Does that make any sense?
You have a good point there Jim. How about something like "Moseley Inspired" ? :roll:

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Look, I'll be the first to say it--Terry's work today is more refined (and the guitars play better) than any Semie Moseley custom made guitar I've personally ever played. Call it blasphemy if you want. Semie was definitely the "artiste" who came up with these designs and the things about these guitars that we love, but Terry's woodworking skills are second to none.

Not to mention the fact that Semie made those 50's guitars with hand tools and a band saw...Terry has some real state of the art power tools that certainly help the process along...

I'm heading out the door to drive to Denver....see you all on the road.

Deke

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey--

I think Deke has hit the nail on the head at what I was groping to say. Semie Moseley was no doubt a genius, and from what I have learned here and elsewhere, he never stopped having inspired ideas.

As a businessman, he wasn't as gifted, it seems.

But, like many gifted people, he would sometimes go from one idea to the next idea without always taking the time to fully explore the possibilities of his creations. Plus, he was under production pressures.

As a longtime supervisor of graphic designers and artists, I am familiar with these situations. And some artists are better at certain creative processes than others. Terry and others on this forum obviously are masters of their craft.

So, to take this concept to its conclusion, the gifted artisans who are exploring the limits of the Moseley creations are no less gifted than he was, and are allowing us to see what the full development of his ideas inspire.

And, to me, that is very cool.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:55 am

I have to say when I first fell in love with a Mosrite is was a ventures 2, a far cry to semie's custom builds in the 50's. However, I appreciate these guitars just as much as anything else to the history of the mosrite guitar, and Terry captures the heart of that 50's design with fine precision. Terry you are a great asset to this forum, and have made me a better guitar tech just by reading your posts on this forum, and I thank you.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:04 am

This is such a great forum with all of it's diversity. I really look forward to visiting several time per day to see what's new and exciting. I'll just add to what everyone else has already said and that is that Terry's work is simply stunning. What a treat! :D
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:22 am

I have to say that I saw Larry Collins & Joe Maphis with their guitars 1st even though I had no idea what kind they were. I was bitten buy the Doubleneck bug after that.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:23 pm

This thread is a great idea, Danny. I finally got into taking a closer look at Terry's work. Looks fantastic! Hopefully I'll make it to the Deke Geek Fest one day and try one out myself.

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Terry,
That's a great looking guitar Mr Brown has. He must to be proud as a bird dog with a pheasant in his sight. I bet it plays and sounds terrific. Great job!!!

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”