That SWeeeeet Spot...!

Elnjay

That SWeeeeet Spot...!

Postby Elnjay » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Ha! Got your attention! But no worries, this concerns I'd say about .0001% pecent of membership here because it is Mosrite BASS-related..

You do know what the Mosrite BASS is, right? It's that 4-stringer (thank gawd Semie never had to deal with 5'ers, fretless, let alone ERB's...Mosrite ERB's... NO, it isn't right.
I'm an old-school fretted-four player and I can do PLENTY with that...)

But I digress, for those still here, the rest I assume are off playing those wimply little, what 10-12 gauge strings? :lol: Hahahahaha! Oh, you're killing me....

THE SWEET SPOT-

If anyone is still here- Why did Semie put the single pup ('65 Mosrite Bass; I have a Ranger which trust me, impresses me more each time I play it)
in that spot?

Looks? Super-Cool, the angle & such, set up against the neck, but more-
As a bassist who plays the right way- with fingers & thumb- That's another thing---you guitarists. with your-picks! :lol: :P :roll: Whoa, it's killing me...

Note- for those Bassists who prefer a pick- sure, OK. I understand.

The positioning with the right hand is an important element of playing the bass and getting an appropriate tone and attack-
Putting the single pup where it is on the Mosrite single-pup bass is really nice- It allows you to play near the bridge or in the center- though it doesn't allow for playing over the pup, which alters tone and can add presence, not an issue

It is a great design element of this bass- The Fillmore Ranger; a great clone of the Ventures Model Bass guitar.

So interestingly to me at least is that element of Semie Moseley's Bass guitar- I don't know offhand of any other basses that have this placement- I recall some with an angle to the pick-up(s), but no others with the angle AND placement.

Just another Kudos to the Mosrite design, as if more were needed.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: That SWeeeeet Spot...!

Postby Veenture » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Good for you for holding up the Mosrite Bass torch here Elnjay!
BTW, being a 6 string player myself I do enjoy a bass so much that I have a Fender P Bass that I can play on now and then. My technique? ...very old fashioned I think. Depending on the tune I'll use either my thumb or a plectrum...can't do that fancy stuff with the fingers or doing that slap stuff, but then the tunes I play are not complicated either ;)

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:59 pm

Well, obviously I love the bass as well as the six string, since I have my custom built clone (see below, click on photo), a 72 Mosrite bass and a Squier Jazz bass. Although I don't play the bass as often, but when I do I finger pick and rarely if ever use a plectrum. I still keep the Mosrite handy sitting in the stand for when someone stops by. Always ready to jam at a moments notice. ;)

Danny Ellison

Elnjay

Postby Elnjay » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:52 pm

WOw- that is a beautiful double pick-up Bass!

Well, the ratio of guitarists/bassists is sumthin' like 500/1 here at the forum, and the Ventures Model bass needs to be revered just like the guitars do!

BTW- please take my "comments" re: guitarists as what they are -Joke! Widdout you guys, well, it would be one long bass solo! :cry: :o
Who wants that??

I own- are you sitting down??

21 Bass Guitars, 3 more forthcoming; some of the best of the best.

Like all here, I have "digging Mosrites" ingrained, because I was an adolescent when the Ventures rocked the World! with their Mosrites, and the image of those German Carved, "M" headstocks with the "disco" 'Ventures Model'-that was the ****!

Reading here lead me to acquire a Fillmore Ranger Bass, and I must admit, I have seen a MINT Joe Maphis Bass that is killin' me-

The angled pup and it's placement is just one facet of the Ranger/Venture Model that blows me away!

When these basses first appeared, there were Fenders and Gibsons, that's about it. There were few, if any, custom high-ends, as there is a plethora of today!

But assuming the Ranger is an accurate rep of the Ventures Model Bass-

Stunning! Semie Mosely really came out with a unique design and sound.

Once in a great while, a dedicated bass Forum discusses Mosrite, usually to the tune of "Whoa! What was THAT I saw/heard?"

Most of the younger (read: under 50!) bassists aren't even aware of the brand, the legacy, let alone the tones!

As a Bassist, I'm tellin' ya- Those Ventures Models (and the current Fillmores) are something!

Very hard to obtain; and the vintage ones, $$.

Worth it.

midwestsurfer

Postby midwestsurfer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:28 pm

I, too, am primarily a guitar player who dabbles in electric bass. I've always had basses around because I do a lot of 4-track home recording and, because of that, I've wound up playing bass in a lot of projects. Good, dedicated bassists are in short supply!

I've primarily owned/played Fender basses (P, J and Mustang), but have always wanted to get a Mosrite (Ventures-style) bass because I love their sound, look and the feel of that thin, fast neck. I can't justify shelling out the $$ for an original model, but I'd be curious to know how much you paid for your Fillmore Ranger bass, Elnjay. That might be a more reasonable option for me considering that bass isn't my primarily instrument. Did you get it from Artie at Front Porch Music?
Nick

Elnjay

Postby Elnjay » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:00 pm

FWIW, I have an awesome '69 P-Bass with a neck to die for, and a "frankenbass" Mustang with a '70's P-Bass pup that has some tone.
But enough about me! :mrgreen:

This Forum got the juices flowing for a Mosrite Bass- the kewl factor is off the hook, and I had no idea how awesome they play & sound.

The Vintage Mosrite Venture Models that I saw were not to my liking as I'm a "NOS" type of guy-
The Fillmores intrigued me, and I found my way to Mr. Ed Roman, who had the bass(es) in stock-
Mine is SB; it was brought over for NAMM-
Artie had a better price, but no stock at the time, it would have taken about 2-3 months, reasonable, except that I couldn't wait.
My dealings with Ed Roman were fine, gave me a price; haggled; he whined, sent the bass out shipping included. It is awesome as I've said.

I don't know about quoting $$, but PM me and I'll tell you what I paid, and what Front Porch was quoting, or simply talk to Artie.

He being on the Board here; that's how I'd go- If I could have waited!

The Fillmore is not inexpensive, but it is unique, beautiful, and does real justice to Semie's
concept of a bass guitar.
I'm a proud owner for sure!

Elnjay

Postby Elnjay » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:46 am

http://fillmorerangerbass.shutterfly.com/

IF this works; here are some relatively poor quality pictures of my Fillmore Ranger (ser.# RGB 003), the cool 'Mosrite of California' Gigbag (really nice!) and the awesome G&G "arrigator" case sold by a Forum member here!

SWeeeeet! :twisted:

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Lee Dorman looks like he found the sweet spot!

Elnjay

Postby Elnjay » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:15 am

Iron Butterfly, huh? Who knew? :?:

There was a broadcast featuring REM the other day- I'm pretty sure the guitarist was playing a green Mosrite...

I'm more of a jazz/R&B/Blues roots player myself and I enjoy playing the Rnager/Ventures bass for that type of music. It can nail it with a good, strong single (or double) pup solid bass tone.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”