Who made this?

goldentrem

Who made this?

Postby goldentrem » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:37 am

Picked this up at a shop in Sydney yesterday, first time i've seen a new Mosrite for sale in a guitar shop here in 25+ years.
Its a Excellent 65 Ventures model.
L2000 pickups, Excellent vibrato unit, no serial number, with a Made in Japan sticker on the back of the neck.
Compared to my Fillmore Ranger 65 its much lighter, the body is thinner and feels better balanced.
Question is who made it?
Black / Dark Cloud, ?

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: Who made this?

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:34 am

My guess is Kurokumo (black cloud or dark cloud) as you thought. They usually put the "Made in Japan" label on the back of head stock.

I have two Japnese Mosrites made by them (pictures on my website), you can compare the details. They are excellent maker (Use Excellent brand sometimes, I think) I prefer theirs to Fillmore's models.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 am

Here's a link to your guitar. Actually they show your guitar. :arrow: Excellent
How do the two compare? Do the necks feel the same and do the pickups sound the same?
Danny Ellison

zak

Postby zak » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:15 am

I have the same guitar (but in sunburst). Mine has a serial number, though. Mel (MWaldorf) had the same guitar ("Mosrite Japan" Excellent '65 reissue), and it had no serial number...his had the wrong pots, too! There doesn't seem to be much consistency or logic. Make sure your guitar has 500K pots.

I don't really have anything else to add, I just noticed the Sonics LP on top of your turntable!

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:49 pm

goldentrem

Did you ever try Wosrite guitars (mady by Tym) I have never seen nor tried them but am always curious about these guitars. A salesperson at the old Ed Roman Super Store told me about this brand and said they were pretty good (He is no long with Ed Roman's, otherwise I might put him in big trouble :o )

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 pm

Cool guitar! As Zak said, mine had no serial number, 250K pots and non-logo pickup covers. I swapped in 1M pots (I didn't have 500Ks that fit the knobs), logo pickup covers and a mint pickguard. Swapping the pots made a big difference in the tone of the guitar. Much more "Mosrite-y"
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

goldentrem

Postby goldentrem » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:45 am

Thanks guys.
My new one needs a good set-up so its a bit early to compare the two, i'll let you know in a week or so.

Desert Surfer wrote:goldentrem

Did you ever try Wosrite guitars (mady by Tym) I have never seen nor tried them but am always curious about these guitars. A salesperson at the old Ed Roman Super Store told me about this brand and said they were pretty good (He is no long with Ed Roman's, otherwise I might put him in big trouble :o )

Never played any of the Tym guitars but they look great and i've heard lots of good talk about them.
He made a great looking Mosrite crossed with an Epiphone Wilshire that looked wild.

zak wrote:I don't really have anything else to add, I just noticed the Sonics LP on top of your turntable!

Zak ,The Sonics have been on my turntable for the last 30 years !, maybe my all-time favourite band.

zak

Postby zak » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:54 am

goldentrem wrote:Zak ,The Sonics have been on my turntable for the last 30 years !, maybe my all-time favourite band.

I got into them about 22 or 23 years ago in the 80s...via covers by the Fuzztones. One of my all-time favorite bands too!

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:16 am

Congrats! How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

And, yeah, The Sonics is uber-cool! Have that album too and always play it when I - from time to time - do a DJ-set.

goldentrem

Postby goldentrem » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:02 pm

[quote="ElTwang"]Congrats! How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

Don't mind at all!
It was $1195 AU, approx $1050 US, it was a special, (a few small scratches on the tail near the strap button), retail they were selling for $1800.

I went to have a look and see how it sounded compared to my Ranger 65 with no intention of buying it but it felt different and sounded different so i grabbed it. :)

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”