Mosmaster / Bluerite

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Mosmaster / Bluerite

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:32 pm

Since there seems to be a decent amount of interest in my Mosmaster (probably not unlike the interest of passing drivers in an accident on the highway), I thought I'd create a thread on this guitar for posterity.

In the '90s, a Japanese Mosrite enthusiast, Mr. Fukushima, opened what would be the premier Mosrite specialty shop smack dab in Shinjuku, Tokyo. To commemorate this event, Mr. Fukushima also commissioned a very small run of Bluerite Custom guitars (essentially a Yamaha SG5/7 style instrument with Mosrite pickups and hardware) to be prototyped by Kid's Guitars. Obviously, the name "Bluerite" came from Terry & The Blue Jeans (who has signature models of both the Yamaha SG and our beloved Mosrite).

When Mr. Fukushima reorganized Golden Guitar's first floor to display only American and vintage Mosrites (and the occasional other vintage American guitar), he turned the second floor into a new shop, Diamond Head, which specialized in everything else surf. To memorialize this opening, he commissioned the Mosmaster - a Jazzmaster silhouette complete with three-ply binding, German carve, Mosrite pickups and hardware. Again, these were produced in a very small run of Standard (chrome) and Custom (gold) versions. They were available in Sunburst, Pearl White, Candy Apple Red and Ocean Blue. A couple of the Japanese improvements on classic designs that these featured were locking Kluson-style tuners and an Allen wrench rocker assembly Vibramute.

Mr. Fukushima and Golden Guitar were my introduction to all things Mosrite and his shop was truly a museum - although the prices were not for the faint of heart. I played my first Brass Rail in his shop (although could never afford it), and even these Mosmasters were in the $2000-3000 range. Sadly, when I returned to Tokyo, Mr. Fukushima had already passed away, the doors to Golden Guitar were locked, and his collection was scattered to the wind. I stumbled upon my CAR Mosmaster Custom in a Beatles specialty shop (of all places) a couple years later for a very economical price. I don't play mine much, but it encapsulates a very unique piece of Tokyo guitar history and it brings back some good memories.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Re: Mosmaster / Bluerite

Postby dorkrockrecords » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:33 pm

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:32 am

Adam,

Wow - thanks for sharing! So is the scale length 25.5"? Does the neck have more of a Fender or a Mosrite profile? How are the frets?

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:01 am

The scale length is 24 1/2" and the width at the string guide is about 1 9/16" so it's essentially a Mosrite in Fender clothing. The frets seem to be the right stock for a '60s Mosrite but have standard (i.e. not speed fret) profile. My guess is it's a standard Kurokumo neck (with a non-standard headstock).

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:28 am

What a cool guitar. I couldn't find any other pictures of a Mosmaster, but here are some pictures I found of a Blue-rite:

And a double neck:
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

zak

Postby zak » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:23 pm

I want THIS :shock:

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:15 am

zak wrote:I want THIS :shock:

darn :shock: ! How did I miss this?? Zak, where did you find this pic?
Is it a Store in Japan selling this, E-Bay,....where???
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:12 pm

:o ...most interesting reading and enjoyable viewing!

By the way, I find that dorkrockrecords' writing skill a suitable match to the beauty in the pix he posted!
(had to say that :oops: )

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 pm

pretty cool. they sell those yahama guitars in america, but with different pickups and hardware. I've seen them in guitar center.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Thank you for the compliment, Veenture. I guess that's just the English major in me rearing its ugly head.

Dennis, I'm pretty sure that doubleneck is in a private collection in Japan, and it's probably the only one in existence.

Just to clarify, the Bluerites were based on the Yamaha SG series that Takeshi Terauchi used in Terry & The Blue Jeans, but they are not Yamaha-made. Both the Bluerite and the Mosmaster were very small-run promotional items for Golden Guitar in an attempt to "mosritize" two of the most icononic, non-Mosrite surf guitars in Japan: the Yamaha SG and the Jazzmaster. They were most likely built by Kid's Guitars with Kurokumo hardware.

Adam

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”