Mosrite Made in Japan

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Mosrite Made in Japan

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Danny, those are some gorgeous guitars!! I'm in love w/pic# 17 (Electric Blue? Candy Blue?, Jewel Blue?). And I wouldn't mind having a "CLEAR" Mo' to go w/my '69 Dan Armstrong Ampeg :mrgreen:. But that '63 S.B. and the '65 Pearl White SCARE me! :shock: They look like pix of 2 of my guitars! And then, there's also "Junior," or least that's what the Wife calls it, the little Travel Guitar. Mine is Sunburst, but mine has the Black Headstock on it, and yes, it DOES have 2 p'ups. I believe the earlier ones only had the Neck Pickup on it. I'm so sorry that Arpsum doesn't wish to participate on the Forum any longer. Did he mention his reason for not being able to participate any longer? He WILL be missed. :cry:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:54 am

Those are beauties. The first Black Cloud pictured is the alder body nitrocellulose finished '63 sidejack RI. The price is given in Yen and converted to dollars, it's about $3400. Considering what it is--and it's no longer made...that is a reasonable price. And probably the closest thing you can get to an original '63.
The Fillmore's '63 are basswood with a polyesther finish....not worth over 5 grand. Are they that much in demand in Japan?

serpicO

Postby serpicO » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:10 pm

Hello! I am a bit confused. There are 2 companies that make Mosrites? Fillmores and Black Cloud. Both made in Japan? ok i know this is a stupid question: why dont Mosrite make Mosriteguitars? Fillmore and Black Cloud are the real deal? i noticed it doesnt say Mosrite Of California on the headstock.

:oops:

Johan
See them tumbling down
Pledging their love to the ground
Lonely but free I'll be found
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds.

http://www.myspace.com/tumbleweedofsurf

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:01 pm

Johan, it's a long story and detailed elsewhere on the forum, but basically Fillmore owns the rights to the Mosrite name and currently makes the only "REAL" Mosrites. Loretta Moseley is trying to get started making Mosrites someplace else but the details are sketchy. Black Cloud made Mosrites but stopped after being sued by Fillmore.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

serpicO

Postby serpicO » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:07 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Johan, it's a long story and detailed elsewhere on the forum, but basically Fillmore owns the rights to the Mosrite name and currently makes the only "REAL" Mosrites. Loretta Moseley is trying to get started making Mosrites someplace else but the details are sketchy. Black Cloud made Mosrites but stopped after being sued by Fillmore.

sorry for bringin this up. i guess you guys have talked about this so much already. i will search through the other threads.
Thanks for giving me the basics anyways! :)
See them tumbling down
Pledging their love to the ground
Lonely but free I'll be found
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds.

http://www.myspace.com/tumbleweedofsurf

arpsum

Postby arpsum » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:09 pm

Danny, that link is not Kurokumo's website but Japanese enthusiast's website. The real one is as follows.

:arrow: Kurokumo

As you know, last year Fillmore took Kurokumo to Japanese court for using the trademark of Mosrite on Kurokumo's guitars. Tokyo district court decided both of them have no rights of the trademark at that time. They denied even Fillmore's rights Japanese patent office admitted in the past. Fillmore immediately appealed to the senior court, and the trial continued for about one year. And at last, the appeal was dismissed at the end of last month.

I don't know whether Fillmore would appeal to supreme court or not, This means there are no trademark owner of Mosrite in Japan. The senior court did it for a justice.

Now, I think it's your turn to succeed 'Built in Soul' in US.

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:20 am

Arpsum,
Does this mean in the eyes of Japanese law, Mosrite name is in what we would call in USA, public domain? In that case, anyone in Japan could use the Mosrite name. I believe Lorretta and Kurokumo most be targeting the Japanes audience as it would be expensive to ship here on top of the guitar price. As Fillmore has registered M Mosrite in the USA, he may have legal standing to block sales of Kurokumo Mosrite in the USA. Also, it would be cost prohibitive for any US citizen to visit custom shop in Japan to see their guitar being built. Maybe Kuokumo is trying to legitimize there Mosrites further over Fillmore.

Mosriteforever!

arpsum

Postby arpsum » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:15 pm

mosriteforever, what do you wish about Mosrite guitars in the future? Even if I replied your question, it would depend on your point of view whether my reply is good to you or not. I just inform you the facts happned in Japan. As for me, I never regard both Fillmore and Kurokumo as Mosrite. I dare to say, they're counterfeit guitars without permission of Semie. Now I'm so happy the Japanese court did the good decision this time. And as I mentioned, it's your turn. Please don't rely on Japanese builders. Let's role for 'Built in Soul' in US. Eddy, can you hear me?

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Arpsum,
I agree with you totally. Morite can only be made by Semie. Bill Gruggett can make Built in Soul, Ed Elliot can make Built in Soul. I do not know if any other persons other than Semie can make Built in Soul!

Mosriteforever!!

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”