Another "Parts-Rite" ... Completed with pics

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Another "Parts-Rite" ... Completed with pics

Postby GattonFan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:07 pm

Hopefully some of you guys who have done this can weigh in with tips and tricks. Today I ordered parts for a Ventures model w/Vibramute ... Curtis said the only things I'll need are a shorty switch and a string guide (in adddition to getting the parts chromed, and the guitar refinished). I'm thinking purple sparkle with possibly some Daphne blue (or similar) flames for the body. Saw one that Semie had done with a planetary scheme and got all inspired.

So, I'll be calling on those of you with the experience and expertise to help me out - I'll surely need it ...

Dennis

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Another "Parts-Rite" ...

Postby dubtrub » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:42 pm

That's great, and looking forward to progress reports on your project. Don't forget to post pictures. ;)
Danny Ellison

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:44 pm

Dennis

You should have some fun with that project, I know I did. Just remember that when things aren't going as you thought they should just sit back, relax and survey what you are doing. A little common sense goes a long way with these kind of projects.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Dennis,

Right on! I've really been enjoying my Parts-rite (or should it be Mo-Par?) I've got a spare piece of string guide from when I cut my string guide to size. PM me. Also, make sure to take lots of pictures so we can share in the adventure!

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:10 am

Dennis,
I'm curious, do you know if the neck you're getting has binding? Does it have a truss rod installed? Is the shaping finished or does it require more work? For me, getting the neck shaped was the biggest part of the job.
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:01 am

The neck is bound, and according to Curtis, has the truss rod installed, rosewood fingerboard, silkscreened logo ...
So many guitars; So little time ..

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Posting a couple of shots to show progress on the Partsrite I got from Curtis. Ended up with a Nokie model body - will post more when I get more time ... Dennis

So many guitars; So little time ..

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Great looking project. Looks like the string rollers are correctly positioned too. So many of those bridges that surface on eBay have the rollers at weird angle.

Are you going to get the color mixed at an automotive paint supply store so you can finish it in the blue to match the headstock?
Danny Ellison

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:01 pm

Actually, I painted the neck and headstock, and pickguard - got the body grainfilled and used polycrylic as a sealer - seems to do a great job - surface llike an ice rink. Using Duplicolor lacquer in spray cans ...

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Dennis,
Looking great! The paint and the headstock decal looks really nice, and the chrome job on the vibramute looks sharp. Did you have the chroming done locally to you?
Mel

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”