Venture a Guess ?

panther
Top Producer

Venture a Guess ?

Postby panther » Fri May 06, 2011 10:07 am

I bought this guitar, and this guitar neck. Anyone guess what I have planned ?
A bonus is I have a Strat copy with a bad neck, and this one has binding on it.

Dan

"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Venture a Guess ?

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 am

Okay, Strat type neck on the Strat copy. Completes that look. Other neck gets and M notched into and attached to the Mosie looking body. Close?
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri May 06, 2011 10:52 am

Panther you should be close in the intonation dept as long as your old neck on the strat copy has 21 frets as well.
As far as the Mo' neck wannabe....it's anyone's guess (not knowing the number of frets).... :|
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri May 06, 2011 10:58 am

Regardless of how many fret it has, the major point of concern is how far back or forward is the new neck. You have to make sure it is of equal distance from the nut to the twelfth fret, the from the twelfth fret to the center of the bridge.

BTW, I moved this topic to the proper forum.
Danny Ellison

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri May 06, 2011 10:59 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Panther you should be close in the intonation dept as long as your old neck on the strat copy has 21 frets as well.
As far as the Mo' neck wannabe....it's anyone's guess (not knowing the number of frets).... :|

Dennis;
As far as the Strat is concerned. the difference between 21 fret and 22 fret doesn't change the scale length, all they did was add an extra fret at the end of the neck and extended it out over the body, That is why some Strat necks have the overhang.
With the project guitar.
As long as I get the neck mounted properly, I can then add the bridge and tailpiece where they need to be, twice the distance from nut to 12th Fret, plus 1/8".
My plan is to completely blank out the body and start fresh.
Dan

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri May 06, 2011 11:08 am

dubtrub wrote:Regardless of how many fret it has, the major point of concern is how far back or forward is the new neck. You have to make sure it is of equal distance from the nut to the twelfth fret, the from the twelfth fret to the center of the bridge.

BTW, I moved this topic to the proper forum.

Dennis;
Bare with me, I'll get this right yet.
I add 1/8" to the distance, this way the intonation adjustments fall pretty much center of the bridge. I got this tip from Ed Roman.

Here is a photo of my Tribute Guitar I made for my recently passed Friend.

Dan

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:19 am

That is gorgeous! Beautiful dog, and I'm sorry for your loss. That is a very nice tribute.
1982 Fender Bullet

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri May 06, 2011 11:32 am

Kawliga was 12 years old. He was killed last September 20th, He was killed by a Coyote. Just had him checked at the vets, the vet said he should live at least 5 or 6 more years. He was killed that night.
I cry almost every day still. That was the worst day of my life. I literally wanted to die it hurt so much.

Dan

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 pm

I'm sorry Dan. That would be awful! Was he full sized or miniature? I'm surprised a Coyote would go after him. We have to be very mindful at our house because they will come right into our yard. We lose cats and small dogs in our area. I live right in the foothills of Ventura.

A few years ago my boss had two Jack Russell Terriers. A coyote grabbed one of them and when his wife screamed he grabbed his shotgun. When he went back in the yard his other Jack Russell was on top of the coyote biting it in the neck. My boss fired the shotgun in the air and it let go of his dog. He was lucky to only needs stitches.

My German Shepherd died five years ago (old age) and I'm still not ready for another dog. That was a rough time, so I know the feeling.
1982 Fender Bullet

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sun May 08, 2011 9:23 am

Sarah93003 wrote:I'm sorry Dan. That would be awful! Was he full sized or miniature? I'm surprised a Coyote would go after him. We have to be very mindful at our house because they will come right into our yard. We lose cats and small dogs in our area. I live right in the foothills of Ventura.

A few years ago my boss had two Jack Russell Terriers. A coyote grabbed one of them and when his wife screamed he grabbed his shotgun. When he went back in the yard his other Jack Russell was on top of the coyote biting it in the neck. My boss fired the shotgun in the air and it let go of his dog. He was lucky to only needs stitches.

My German Shepherd died five years ago (old age) and I'm still not ready for another dog. That was a rough time, so I know the feeling.

Sarah;
Me and my ex wife bred Shelties for the 12 years we were together, and she bred them for the previous 15 years. Kawliga was from a line of Champions that went back to the recognition of the breed in 1915. We had Champion Shelties all over the world, Japan, Mexico, Canada.
Kawliga had the distinction of being the only Shelties I know of that was never defeated in a show. He didn't show very long as he didn't like it.
But still undefeated.
Dan

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”