Jay Turser Mosman

Dimeman

Jay Turser Mosman

Postby Dimeman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:57 pm

After "playing at guitar" on and off (mostly off) since the mid 60's, learning what little I know from the Ventures records and Play With The Ventures records, I got a "Mosrite"---not really-----but it looks close to one.
Just got a Jay Turser Ventures Mach 1 Mosman in black.

Sorry Mosrite, Hallmark Dillion, DiPinto, and Eastwood !!!

A new forum member but long time fan of the Mosrite guitars and Ventures. Have most all The Ventures US release LP's and 45's, some cassettes and over 120 of Ventures and Nokie CD's.

I thought it was strange to have a ring (chromed metal) around the pickups and no adjustment screws, so I took off the ring. It is just for show as you adjust the pickups by taking off the pickup cover. I contacted Turser and the only color for the pickup covers and ring is chrome.

The pickups were sort of muddy sounding, not a Mosrite sound, so I unscrewed the pole screws one half turn and it sounds better. Needs a good guitar tech to adjust and set up, as they just run most of all guitars like these through for a quick tune and adjustment.

I contacted the custom pickup ring maker (Frets on the net ???) sent him the dimensions of the ring, and asked what he would charge for a set of replacement rings in white.Waiting to hear back.

Been reading lots of very informing posts on this forum.

Robbie
Robbie

jfine
Top Producer

Re: Jay Turser Mosman

Postby jfine » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:51 am

Those pickups look like they're patterned after Gibson P-90 (aka "soapbar") pickups--the only way to adjust those is with the pole screws. If they're the same size as P-90's, there are any number of replacement pickups from different manufacturers available that should fit. Common colors are black and cream, but there are chrome P-90's too, generally in the "dog ear" configuration with mounting flanges at either end of the pickup. As far as the trim rings go, if you want any color other than what you've got, you'll probably have to get them custom-made. You might try one of the parts companies like All Parts or WD--they carry a wide variety of stuff.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:47 am

Non dog ear P-90's are somewhat adjustable with the two center screws. It depends on the mounting though. Some use springs, some use foam, some use rubber tubing underneath to support the pickup. Some are just bolted down. I've never seen one use mounting rings so it's weird that guitar would have them just as cosmetics. They're not muddy either. Muddy and P-90 do not belong in the same sentence. It's possible that those are some quick and dirty cheaper pickups. An upgrade would probably be a good thing. Check the dimensions of those pickups and see how they compare to real P-90s or Mosrite style pickups.

The Hallmark "Fat Pig" is a cool pickup. :D

Dimeman

Postby Dimeman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:34 am

I took the chrome pickup ring off and measured it. It's just for cosmetics and the hole in the guitar is a slight bit larger than the ring opening, which is 85mm X 35mm, the size of a P90 soapbar pickup.
I couldn't see the adjustment screws on the side, so the 2 screws between the pole screws might be the adjustment screws and not the screws for a pickup cover. Hmmmm-----Will have to check that out............. ;)

I adjusted the pole screws out 2 turns on the 1st to 3rd strings and 1 turn on the 4th to 6th strings. It sounds much better.
Been reading the posts on replacement pickups........and had a bid on an original Mosrite on ebay but it sold for big bucks......could have bought 4 pickups for the price it sold for. :o

I read most of the good reports on the forum about the Elliott, Novak and the M3 replacement pickups.

Looks like lots of great information on here. :D

Robbie
Robbie

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:09 am

The two screws between the pole screws actually mount the pickup. If there's foam or springs between the pickup and the bottom of the cavity, you might have some limited range of adjustment--if not, you don't! Swapping the pickups out for better-quality ones would certainly improve things, and you'd likely need to replace the controls, switch and wiring too, as those parts aren't usually very good quality on less-expensive guitars. Mosrite-sized pickups would require enlarging the cavities as well, so you'd be better off to go with some sort of P-90-style pickup. Buying a bunch of parts would certainly increase your budget, without really adding to the value of the instrument--it would have to be your call to decide whether to spend money that you wouldn't be likely to recoup on modifying the guitar, or saving up to get a better one. Unfortunately, a cheaper guitar with upgraded parts is still a cheaper guitar as far as resale is concerned.

Dimeman

Postby Dimeman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:12 pm

jfine,
You are right about the screws on the pickup......they are mounting screws.
Raised the bridge pole screws 1/2 turn more and the high end was crisper. 8-)
Robbie

Dimeman

Postby Dimeman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:14 am

Sent one of the cosmetic pickup rings to a custom pickup ring builder who is going to make some in a white plastic for me. It should look better with white covered pickups and a white ring around the pickups matching the white pick-guard.
Robbie

Dimeman

Postby Dimeman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:30 pm

Made a decal for my Jay Turser...............................

Robbie

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:08 am

What will be the placement of the decal? Will it fit under the "Jay Turser"? How will the black show up on the black headstock?
Scott

Dimeman

Postby Dimeman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:59 am

This black decal is going on the white pickguard. It will look similar to the Aria Ventures model made in Japan guitar like shown here.
If it looks good a smaller white decal will go on the headstock under the Jay Turser logo.

I just got an email saying the white plastic "goof" rings I had the custom pickup ring builder make,were finished and are in the mail.
I also bought a M3 P90 bridge pickup (with a white cover) and a Porter Smooth 90 neck pickup (with a white cover) that will be installed soon.
With the black body and white pickguard, the white pickups and "goof" rings should look good.

Robbie

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”