1965 Mosrite Ventures untamable FEEDBACK ?? Help!

chaoticdissonance

1965 Mosrite Ventures untamable FEEDBACK ?? Help!

Postby chaoticdissonance » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Hello all. I just aquired my FIRST Mosrite today. Its a late '65 Ventures MK1 and what can I say, ITS BEAUTIFUL. BIG "problem" though. I 've read and now have witnessed first hand just how hot these pickups really are. I am playing through a 72' Ampeg V2 head paired with a 76' V4 cab (rated @ 300w). I get no feedback in the Neck and Middle position, but through the bridge it just SQUEALS periodically. And when I stomp on my original Mosrite Fuzzrite or Univox SuperFuzz, the feedback is uncontrollable. Anyone else have these issues?? Is it the Ampeg? Any remedies? I have dreamed of owning a Mosrite for years and now it seems as if that dream may have not meant to be. Is this just the nature of the beast? Any advice/modifications?? How did the Ventures run those massive Showmans without any issues? HAAALP!

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: 1965 Mosrite Ventures untamable FEEDBACK ?? Help!

Postby Mr. Bill » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Is the problem electronic or acoustic? Try moving the guitar away from the speakers and at different angles to the amp. Does that effect the feedback? You may have a loose winding on the bridge pickup. Does changing the tone settings on the amp have any affect?

I have the same amp head, but have never tried it with my Mosrite.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:45 am

Try putting a finger or thumb on the pickup when it is squeeling. If it stops then it is a vibration issue. Make sure it has a proper mount with springs and is not loose in any way.

Bob

chaoticdissonance

Postby chaoticdissonance » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:51 pm

The feedback on the bridge pick-up seems to cut in and out when I stand at a distance. It seems like the feedback might be acoustically driven, but not 100% sure. I am kind of at a loss here seeing as how this is a major investment and wouldn't want to devalue the guitar by changing electronics. But if this issue is a simple fix I'd be willing to take that risk. Still, with the fuzz-boxes its just out of control feedback. I have a week to either diagnose and fix the guitar, or send it back for a full refund. The seller claims he had no issues with feedback before he shipped the guitar, could something possibly have come loose during transport? Im thinking I should send it off to my tech, what should he look for?

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Also, try dismounting the pickup to see if something is loose underneath. It sometimes the foam is coming off of the mounting bar or the epoxy is cracked mounting screw stripped, etc. Any vibration from loose parts will cause feedback.

chaoticdissonance

Postby chaoticdissonance » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Well, unfortunately my tech discovered disintegrating wiring and he would either have to re-wind the pups or I would have to replace them altogether. Guessing I got a "lemon" here, so I am returning. Seeing as how I paid a large sum of money for this guitar, I wouldn't feel justified spending even more to alter this guitar in any way. Back she goes. I want to appreciate these guitars, but am feeling pretty discouraged in continuing my search :oops: . Bob, should I just go the Hallmark route? ;)

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:53 am

chaoticdissonance wrote:Well, unfortunately my tech discovered disintegrating wiring and he would either have to re-wind the pups or I would have to replace them altogether. Guessing I got a "lemon" here, so I am returning. Seeing as how I paid a large sum of money for this guitar, I wouldn't feel justified spending even more to alter this guitar in any way. Back she goes. I want to appreciate these guitars, but am feeling pretty discouraged in continuing my search :oops: . Bob, should I just go the Hallmark route? ;)

It's not a lemon. It's a 50+ year old guitar. I understand your disappointment, but a pickup rewind isn't the end of the world.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:42 am

Well I can tell you, you would not have that issue with a Hallmark. I have re-designed the pickups for a sturdy mounting to avoid microphonic's and feedback while retaining the classic tone. The Hallmarks are made to play! Priced at $999.00, hard shell gator case included.

Thanks for asking, Bob

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”